New 40 volt lithium-ion battery self-propelled lawn mower from Greenworks

SidecarFlip

Threads
  • / New 40 volt lithium-ion battery self-propelled lawn mower from Greenworks
Don't sound like good QC to me,

XxHaimBondxX

Threads
Right, it was funny finding a qc passed sticker just a few inches above the problem area.

On a separate topic, mine is not a push model, does it make sense to exchange it for a push mower? Price is a little higher, but not sure of the benefit, especially if it eats the battery. My lawn is mostly flat and this mower is much easier to manage than my previous one.

MowerMike

Threads
On a separate topic, mine is not a push model, does it make sense to exchange it for a push mower? Price is a little higher, but not sure of the benefit, especially if it eats the battery. My lawn is mostly flat and this mower is much easier to manage than my previous one.

Which Earthwise mower do you own ? Is it one of the heavy 20” SLA battery models that weigh nearly 100 lbs. The Greenworks Li-ion battery models are much lighter, so self-propelled is totally unnecessary on a flat lawn.

dougmacm

Threads
160 FOOT Long SPEED TEST in my side yard TEST RESULTS from Saturday:

GW @ MAX SPEED: 160FT in 32-33 Seconds = 3.00-3.09 MPH with fresh fully charged battery
GW @ MAX SPEED: 160FT in 35-36 Seconds = 2.75-2.82 MPH with a 1/2 discharged battery
Mower just seemed a little faster each time I put in a fresh battery on Friday and this comparison proves it was not just my imagination !!
Owners Manual states 4.6 FPS MAX Speed = 3.13 MPH, which is close enough.

10525 in 3rd Gear / 3260 RPM: 160FT in 28-29 Seconds = 3.41-3.53 MPH (s/b 3.8 MPH @ 3000 RPM per drive service manual)

10323 w/ 10550 Gears / 3300 RPM: 160FT in 30-31 Seconds = 3.19-3.30 MPH

These Greenworks mowers with their bigger (10 & 8") ball bearing wheels roll pretty easy and I was curious as to how the rolling resistance compared between the two of them as well as my Lawn-Boys. Had a 28 lb. pocket/fish scale so I hooked this on each mowers handle bar to see how many lbs. of force was required to push (pull) each of them on my level garage floor.

GW Push was maybe a 1/2 lb of pull to move it at a slow walk
GW S-P was 1.5-2.0 lbs of pull
10525 was 0.5-1.0 lbs of pull (ball bearing comm wheels)
10323 was 1.0 lbs of pull (stock plastic wheels)
7270 was 0.5-1.0 lbs of pull (bronze bushed stock plastic wheels)

A real comparison would be on grass but would need to find a relatively flat and smooth spot to do it on and that would be difficult to find in my yard !!

My "Boys" are not getting kicked to the curb any time soon, just love playing with new tech. Tall, thick, or wet grass the Lawn-Boys are more suited for these demanding situations ... heck there are some four cycle mowers have a hard time when the going gets tough.

Dryer lawn, not overgrown and it's hot out ... this is when I'll get out the cordless one.

Doug

dougmacm

Threads
They are sending me the axle, no problems there, it'll just take a while. But this morning I mowed most of my lawn on three wheels and it did a superb job even on tall moist grass, where earthwise mower would clog up every few minutes. Very happy with it.[/QUOTE

You will get the replacement part rather quickly. Somehow a 1st GEN (not G-MAX) battery got put in the box with my Snowblower. I sent them an e-mail on the 4th of July expecting a reply the following day. Instead someone from Canada replied almost immediately and got the process of the correct battery going right away. I got the battery sometime Mon-Wed the following week, so it took less than a week to arrive.

Doug

XxHaimBondxX

Threads
Which Earthwise mower do you own ? Is it one of the heavy 20” SLA battery models that weigh nearly 100 lbs. The Greenworks Li-ion battery models are much lighter, so self-propelled is totally unnecessary on a flat lawn.

Yep, that earthwise, full thick steel deck thought. Got to say, it has been pretty reliable. I tend to hit rocks and worried about greenworks plastic bumper.

XxHaimBondxX

Threads
Maybe the damage was done in transit.

Doug

If it was bent or had a broken wheel, sure. But there is no sign of damage. If I had a blowtorch, I think I could've heated it and twist it back about 10 degrees. But I'll have the part next week they claim, so no biggie.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
thanx Doug, yeah, my lawn is flat

ugh - system not quoting - I'm replying to this;

It's not bad, actually as easy if not easer to push than the mid 80's Lawn-Boy 21" Aluminum deck mower it replaced.

The GW has sealed ball bearing wheels and only weighs 60.48 lbs. with a 4Ah battery and mulch plug.
The old LB has the bronze bushing mod done to it's wheels so it rolls decent (but not as well as ball bearings) and weighs 58.4 lbs. with a much plate and half tank of gas.

When I bought this house in 1992 at the young age of 29, I used my 1977 Lawn-Boy 7024 21" Aluminum Deck pusher (avatar) until 1999 when I bought the 10323 Self Propelled. I would still switch back-in-forth between my two mowers as the 7024 is just such a joy to use especially now that it has commercial BB wheels on it. Had more yard then too as we had a 20x22 garage and now have a 24x48 garage, wider driveway, and a back patio that displaced quite a bit of lawn.

I do like to push mow my yard every once in a while (got 3 plain push L-B's), but not every week ... more like once or twice a summer. Our lawn is somewhat hilly too, so more reason I prefer self propelled at my age.

You definitely have less grass to cut than me and if it is relatively flat, all the more easier.

I got my pusher direct from GW on a 20% off 4th of July Sale … maybe wait and see if they have a LABOR DAY sale.

Doug

dougmacm

Threads
Thought I'd post pics of my 15k sq-ft. lawn so you can see exactly what I mowed last Friday with the Self Propelled MO40L02 with only 2-1/2 4Ah batteries … I think it is pretty impressive !!

Attachments

• IMG_0768.jpg
    IMG_0768.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0769.jpg
    IMG_0769.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0770.jpg
    IMG_0770.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0772.jpg
    IMG_0772.jpg