Best or alternative ways of accessing the underside of your deck?

geoff

Threads
  • / Best or alternative ways of accessing the underside of your deck?
Hello,

Was just wondering how those GH owners without a Powerfold deck, access the underside of their decks for sharpening, cleaning etc... I had just purchased the MoJack about a month before I got my GH. Unfortunately, the front deck tires are spaced too wide apart for me to use the Mojack. I would have to buy the Pro version and sell the standard one I bought.. which I may do if I find someone to buy it.. in the meantime, I used a portable Wren electric winch attached to a chain around the front wheels of the deck. The Wren winch is attached to a steel crossbar on my basketball hoop post (which is encased in cement). It works very well and very easy to control but it takes time to put the set up together and take it down.. I do plan to simply some of the process by welding a metal ring to the front edge of the deck so I don't have to put on or take off the chain around the front deck wheels.. anybody else have any thoughts or suggestions ? I figured if there is an easier way ( other than buying a new Powerfold deck) an owner, myself included, will be more likely to do service more often...

geoff

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You may have found the best ...
anything to hoist or lift the front will work..
Unless you have a safe ledge, with antiquate wheel stops, that would allow you to drive up with the deck hanging over... You generally do not need under the deck often, a couple times per season should take care of the average large lawn... :smile:KennyV

txzrider

Threads
I love this discussion... I had the same issue with my snapper. I ended up using an old style chain hoist to raise it. When I replaced it I found a mower with a unique solution for it and honestly my issue was no matter what solution I had at home to raise it to replace blades or whatever... I never had those when I was having to fix something when I was at my parents mowing or whatever. My country Clipper has an elegant solution to the problem... pull a couple of levers and flip the deck belt off the motor spindle and the deck slides right out from under the mower! I am not really trying to talk anyone into buying a Country Clipper per se, however the same solution would work on 90% of the zero turns out there. I am always a little shocked when other brands do not take advantage of good ideas. By the way the Country Clipper has exceeded my expectations in almost every way possible.

lostinbaja

Threads
From the "IT WORKS FOR ME" file: I made a couple wood wedges to drive the mower deck onto. The wedges lift the deck high enough for me to get the floor jack under the front of the deck, then I jack the deck up to service it.

173abn

Threads
I went to Lowes and bought a couple 8' metal jacks that you see in basements,put them in concrete in my mower shop.Bought a 12' H beam and bolted it to the top of the jacks,then bought a Harbor Freight elec hoist that runs along the H beam.I can lift my deck almost horz. now to clean it etc...russ

thehemikid

Threads
When I'm in the garage I use a chain hoist. When I want to wash under the deck I use a tree limb & a cable come-a-long.

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use my engine hoist/cherry picker with a chain or sling and it works out very well.
My hoist rolls and has multiple uses. I bought it years ago for around $100.
wmr-w41029_cp.jpg

whatscooking

Forum Newbie
Threads
I use a solid 2x4 and a jack stand and drive the deck up the board on the middle wheels of the deck. I can get under there to clean and sharpen the blades.

Ida-Boy

Threads
I use a 2x4 (as a pry bar) to raise the deck enough to put a carriage jack under the front set of wheels, then jack the front of the deck up high enough to get a good grip on the deck then I mussel it up. Some day that won't work for me but for now I can still do it.

MBDiagMan

Threads
My method is similar to Ida's. I use a six foot pry bar under the front edge and lift it up with one hand, then shove a floor jack under the front, middle scalp roller. Works great.

I think that how you do this is pretty much determined by what equipment you have on hand.
Larry