Oil Leak

Jefe

Threads
My mom's Toro Recycler 22" self propelled walk behind mower is leaking oil. I believe this is a Tecumseh 6.5hp, but I am not 100 % sure. Initially I was having some trouble with the starter as posted here:

Bad Battery ? Thread

Anyway, here's a pic from where I think the leak is from:

DSC00978.jpg

I found an old (~40 years!) service manual in my mother's basement. I think this is the breather? Just not sure what to do next.

Before she used it the 1st time I changed the spark plug, oil, air filter and put on new blades. I did drain the oil from the plug under the deck instead of tipping it over sideways and draining it from the fill tube like the owner's manual said, but I can't imagine that causing any problems... Anyway, the last time she used it she said it is using a ton of oil and there was oil all over the deck. Keep in mind that I sprayed the entire engine with degreaser and hosed it off prior to her using it the 1st time, so it was clean. Here's what it looked like after she last used it (before I degreased and hosed it off again trying to find the leak in the picture above).

DSC00956.jpg

What do you guys think?

Trcustoms719

Threads
The Crank case breather should have a rubber seal on it, replace that and i bet it will be fine.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do you think I will need to pull the flywheel off to do that based on the pic?

Yes... it looks like you have oil from a location under the FW....
The FW will pull right off, and post another pic of where it's leaking from... :smile:KennyV

noma

Threads
Hi Yes the flywheel does have to come off to fix that oil leak,. be carefull if that is plastic oneGood luck should be a piece of cake:cool:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looks like it will do the job.... :smile:KennyV

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
if you tip it with the carb on the downside it can make a mess like that...especially if the breather tube is loose...you must have had to tip it when you did the blade

Last edited:

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
that black disc thing that the breather looks like it goes into to....definitely could be your leaker