Scag Liberty Z opinions?

badbebe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Our Scag is a 2017 model that we purchased new just prior to the 2018 mowing season. It has a 48" deck and "ZK" transaxles. I hope that helps. If your mower has the engine rear guard, with two square holes for carriage bolt heads, I purchased this rear hitch (see photo) on-line from a third party but painted in the Scag color. I have not towed anything behind yet. I just use it as a tie-down point when trailering.

Thanks War Eagle! The bolt spacing is the same (3") on the engine guard. Knowing the 36" uses the same ZT2800-ZK I'm gonna order the hitch and try it out.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I suspect it's more of a size/weight/control/stability issue than a transmission one. The handling of a mower that size could easily become dangerous with a towed implement of significant weight, especially zero-turn mowers that have control issues on slopes without something in tow.

steveyrock

Threads
My SCAG LIBERTY Z is the best ZTR I have ever owned, traded in an Exmark Quest on it.
I have owned a Toro Time Cutter and a Cub ZTR also.
The quality of the cut is far superior than anything else I have ever used, even wet grass.
Even Exmark couldnt match the Scags cut quality. The Quest is a Toro Timecutter with different paint and stickers.
Toro makes Exmark.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just to point out that the new Quest is a much better machine than the older models.

I love my Exmark machines but I found their older Quests to be disappointing considering their experience building top notch commercial equipment. Just too little for too much $.

steveyrock

Threads
Just to point out that the new Quest is a much better machine than the older models.

I love my Exmark machines but I found their older Quests to be disappointing considering their experience building top notch commercial equipment. Just too little for too much $.

I like Exmark commercial machines, hard to beat. That Quest I kept five years and was never really was satisfied.
Paid over 4 grand and then only reallized it was exactly a Toro Timecutter. I paid a thousand more just for the Exmark name.
Thought I was upgrading a bit in quality but found out I was ignorant of the facts when I made the purchase.
Buyer beware, do your homework. Wished I had on that deal.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hindsight is always 20-20... That's life.

ElHeffe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks War Eagle! The bolt spacing is the same (3") on the engine guard. Knowing the 36" uses the same ZT2800-ZK I'm gonna order the hitch and try it out.

Please let me know how this works out. I just purchased a 36" Liberty Z myself, so I'm very curious. The only thing I'm looking to tow would be a dethatcher or a core aerator.

The tow plate I bought (off eBay) had a 3/4" hole to the towing pin. It stuck me as rather large, but is that normal? Here's a link if anyone is curious.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty...111582?hash=item3d79e5d95e:g:1ZIAAOSwn6Jb6vWo

badbebe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Please let me know how this works out. I just purchased a 36" Liberty Z myself, so I'm very curious. The only thing I'm looking to tow would be a dethatcher or a core aerator.

The tow plate I bought (off eBay) had a 3/4" hole to the towing pin. It stuck me as rather large, but is that normal? Here's a link if anyone is curious.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty...111582?hash=item3d79e5d95e:g:1ZIAAOSwn6Jb6vWo

I added the hitch from eBay but haven't towed anything yet. One thing I've noticed is this thing is really terrible on the slightest hill when wet. Then when I checked the drive tire pressure... it was at 30psi! I lowered it to 8psi and traction improved dramatically - no more tire ruts.

ElHeffe

Forum Newbie
Threads
I added the hitch from eBay but haven't towed anything yet. One thing I've noticed is this thing is really terrible on the slightest hill when wet. Then when I checked the drive tire pressure... it was at 30psi! I lowered it to 8psi and traction improved dramatically - no more tire ruts.

Thank you for letting me know! I know many of the zero turn mowers say 10 or 15 degrees max. It still surprises me as I used to mow with an old Dixon zero turn (maybe 15 years ago) on a hill that was around 50 degrees (near the side of the road). It worked well unless it was too wet and then the rear end would slide down the side of the hill. You had to be careful or else (when really wet) the rear tires would slide sideways and scrape the grass with it. It was incredibly fun but the yard looked terribly afterwards!

I'm curious how it does towing. Most of the folks I spoke with think the 36" will do fine with the smaller stuff (dethatcher or aerator) but not so great with a roller or maybe sprayer.

Jmmclaug

Forum Newbie
Threads
So.... Old thread but did they last? Hours and any issues?