Scag Liberty Z opinions?

schultzp

Forum Newbie
Threads
I picked up my 2017 Liberty Z and I have to say that for the price this an awesome piece of equipment. I would recommend spending the extra money from the low-end zero turns to get his mower.

mhavanti

Threads
Congrats and hope you get many years out of it at an enjoyable level.

Max

Dmaxxin

Forum Newbie
Threads
I ordered one of these as well. 52" deck with the 21.5 Kawasaki. Really looking forward to it! I do have some incredibly thick and fast growing grass on my property, so I'm hopeful this unit has the power to handle it.

I will give you guys some updates in spring.

Update:

Only about 6 hours on the machine but so far I'm kinda blown away.

My first ever zero turn was a Toro Timecutter 42"

Second was a 2007 Gravely 148z.

In my opinion the Scag stripes better, rides smoother, and most noticeable, mulches the clippings to the point of almost completely disappearing.

There is a park area that has not been mowed at all this year, it's around 20" long or more. I made a couple passes to see what the Liberty was capable of. Dispersed the clippings, zero bog, and made a very nice cut/stripe set at 4"

Again, super impressed with the machine within the first 6 hours.

IMG_5831.PNG

Blurry shot of the 20" cut as it's a screen cap from a vid, but you get the idea.

DAB123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Glad to hear you are enjoying the liberty, ordered mine yesterday going to be delivered tomorrow. Purchased for a second property, my JD 2032 with belly mower would be over kill. Looked at other mowers including the simplicity zero turn, toro, Deere and the liberty seemed to be the best built.

dman535

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am leaning heavily towards this mower. Have looked at Gravely, Snapper, Deere, Kubota and Hustler. The dealer is the closest of all brands. I know that for the same money you can get a little bigger mower from companies like Snapper, but they just don't seem to be built like or have the support that SCAG does.

Everyone still happy with their Liberty Z? Any issues?

schultzp

Forum Newbie
Threads
No issues, I have about 21 hours on it now... Still running great and fun to mow with.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
From what you outline I believe you've size up the mower and its competition. If you have driven each and have met with each dealer you feel are a reasonable distance away surely you can make a choice that best fits your situation. Otherwise, if price isn't a concern go for the new Tiger Cat II just because you can.

Not sure of your total budget but you can get a Tiger Cat II with a Kawasaki and you will never have to buy another mower. I have a friend who has a Tiger Cub that is over 20 years old and runs great. Cuts his grass weekly. Tiger Cub is the predecessor to the Tiger Cat. Tiger Cat is the first level with the Velocity Deck. There is nothing I have ever seen that will out cut a Tiger Cat with the Velocity deck if you have stemmed grass like Bahia. I have a Tiger Cat with over 1500 hours on it that is 3 years old. They are incredible.

War Eagle

Threads
It's been a heavy mowing season here in the Southeast (around 18" above normal rainfall), so how are the Liberty Zs out there holding up? Any hindsight thoughts/recommendations on deck size - 48" vs 52" (our property has a mixture of flat as a pancake and gently rolling old cotton terraces)? Thoughts on Kawasaki FR vs. Kohler 7000 PRO (I'm a Kohler fan based on personal past experience)? Is the seat comfortable for extended mowing sessions (1 hour+)? Inquiring minds want to know. We were strongly considering an Exmark Radius S until we came across this compact little gem.

War Eagle

Threads
Regarding Spartan mowers mentioned in Post #5 above, I sat and watched more than 30 minutes of their on-line promotional videos, and they never once mentioned the engine or any horsepower/torque options! They seemed more into the styling of their custom-made gas tank and uniqueness of their two-pedal parking brake. When they popped the seat up to show underneath, I think I caught a glimpse of a Kohler sticker, but that's it. The torsion shock absorbers incorporated into their front wheel casters seems like a cool idea. I wonder why more manufacturers haven't done something like that to help take some of the stiffness/shock out of the front end when hitting bumps or holes.