Residential Zero Turn On Slope

retfr8flyr

Threads
I have the Hustler Raptor SD 48, which I got last season. I really wouldn't recommend a residential ZT mower for any slope over about 10°. With the smaller tires on residential models the traction just isn't there for slopes. My yard has a few areas with about 12°-15° slope and if the ground is damp, not the grass itself just damp ground, the mower just wants slide instead of turn. I think you would be much better off with one of the steering wheel ZT models. I also think Toro is much a much better product than the Cub Cadet.

RhettWS

Threads
My Raptor SD 54 does not work well on slopes. It is excellent for wet flat ground but not slopes. Slides very easy.

Captain Slow

Threads
Just to follow up on this...I bought a Hustler Raptor with a 42" deck and Kohler engine (sold at lowes, had to special order to get the 42" deck), and am generally satisfied with it so far. It does absolutely fine on slopes up to 10-12 degrees or so and does not feel sketchy at all. I will not mow the steeper areas if the ground is wet. I don't generally mow when its wet anyway however.. I do stay away from ledges as I would on any rider. Dropping a wheel off would be disastrous.

I will say if I could do it over, I would buy something with a little bit larger deck. IIRC the next size up deck on the raptor (at least from lowes) is 52", which is too big for my dinky little trailer, and I'm afraid too big for some of the places I need to this mower into. But just a little bigger, say a 46" or at most a 48" would really make it easier to trim around bushes and stuff. The 42" barely extends outside the tires.

I cannot comment on reliability yet as I only have a few hours (maybe 10?) on it. Maybe I'll follow up again in a year or so.