Getting Slop Out of MTD Steering

mhavanti

Threads
Ronno,

I agree with that as long as the two gears are sitting at a ninety degree angle to each other and you both probably do have a ninety degree set up. All I've had in the shop have had the 12 degree angle pinion with the turned pinion gear. I assumed his gear was the same and thus, my information other than the plastic bushing helping to remove the climb of the fan gear would then be incorrect.

Try not to get too hot down there this morning.

Its hot in Misery today.

Or, Missouri to those that aren't in the know.

Max

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ronno,

I agree with that as long as the two gears are sitting at a ninety degree angle to each other and you both probably do have a ninety degree set up. All I've had in the shop have had the 12 degree angle pinion with the turned pinion gear. I assumed his gear was the same and thus, my information other than the plastic bushing helping to remove the climb of the fan gear would then be incorrect.

Try not to get too hot down there this morning.

Its hot in Misery today.

Or, Missouri to those that aren't in the know.

Max

I have not precisely measured pinion to fangear engagement angle, but I have to believe that, as the fangear angles from horizontal to cant the teeth that it is a design feature intended to give the 2 gears the best angle at point of contact.
Otherwise, pinion intersecting fangear at an angle would cause fangear teeth to contact on a point and gouge the pinion teeth.
Normally, engineers do not make such practical decisions, but in this case I gotta believe.....

I have a steering gear plate and fangear laying around. I will investigate further.