BOLENS GT 1800 with 25hp Kohler engine

Geriatric

Forum Newbie
Threads
HELP!
I have a BOLENS 1800 GT that has been fitted with a Kohler 25 hp engine.
I have replaced the stator and regulator with new Kohler ones but can not get them to charge the battery. The new stator is producing 28amps ac at tick over and 36 amps ac on full power (great) but I am only getting 4.02 DC volt on output. Note, I have also ensured that the regulator is well grounded
All advise welcome

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please verify what you were measuring.
Volts or Amps.
Next where are you taking the measurements ?

Geriatric

Forum Newbie
Threads
Please verify what you were measuring.
Volts or Amps.
Next where are you taking the measurements ?

Hi Bert ,
I am using a multi meter as per utube tuition
When I connect my meter to the new regulator/diode (2 white wires) it tells me I am getting 28 volts AC on tick over and 36 volt AC at full power from the new stator to the regulator
But then it shows I'm only getting 4.02 DC output from the regulator/diode battery charge wire
I have grounded the new regulator to the engine mounting bolt as per Kohler spec
Not sure if this helps as I'm not that well up on engine electrics
Regards John

cashman

Threads
The best way to check the rectifier/regulator is to put a load on the battery (a 12v bulb or if it has an electric pto clutch engage that) Measure the voltage at the center terminal of the rec./reg. which is the B+ and at the battery terminals. You should have the same voltage at both. The voltage should drop when the load is applied then slowly come up. How far the voltage comes up depends on existing total voltage in the battery and the charging system. If the voltage rises at all after the load is applied, the rec./reg. is probably ok. If no voltage rise, the rec./reg. is probably bad. Sounds like with your measuring the voltage at the AC or stator wires, the stator is doing what it's supposed to do.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hi Bert ,
I am using a multi meter as per utube tuition
When I connect my meter to the new regulator/diode (2 white wires) it tells me I am getting 28 volts AC on tick over and 36 volt AC at full power from the new stator to the regulator
But then it shows I'm only getting 4.02 DC output from the regulator/diode battery charge wire
I have grounded the new regulator to the engine mounting bolt as per Kohler spec
Not sure if this helps as I'm not that well up on engine electrics
Regards John

Thought it was Volts but had to be sure.

Your rectifier in now a rectifryer.
Or to put it another way, it is toasted.
You should see about 80% of the AC Voltage as DC between the middle terminal ( purple wire ) and ground.
Take the reading from te terminal to the neg terminal on the battery just in case you have a bad battery ground.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
That output seems weird. You should at least be getting battery voltage at the regulator with the wires plugged in. If you don't have battery voltage then you need to start looking into why. the regulator has a trigger inside that requires a minimum voltage to turn on. So if you don't have 12v at the B+ terminal of the regulator then find out why.