striping lawns the right way

Threads
I just bought a striper and curious how exactly to stripe correctly. Like do I circle the perimeter twice then stripe or what. It makes a yard look great and I want my yards to stand out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

LandN

Threads
I'm not sure that there is a 'right way' to stripe a lawn. i made my own striper and experimented several different procedures and designs.basically you are just bending /folding the grass blades so when the sun light hits the grass, the stripes show up the alternate colors(light and dark). the shorter the grass blades the less folding will occur...'google' lawn stripping and there is a ton of reading.

Threads
Well I've been doing a lot of reading and all it says is about how to bend or fold the grass. I understand that concept. But my question is everyone's yard I cut isn't just a wide open yard with no trees or yard ornaments to go around. So is there ways or tricks to achieve the best stripes.

Slater

Threads
- What I do is I make two passes around the perimeter (both the same direction blowing away from the house or driveway, but some people do one blowing away and then one blowing in, matter of preference and you get a slightly different look.)
- I always do straight lines, but some people like to follow something like maybe a curved lane and that looks cool too and sometimes makes more sense depending on the lawn. I do all of my lines back and forth to get my pinstripe look.
- Then when I am finished I make the two passes around the perimeter again to go over the areas where I turned around at the ends. This helps get a really clean line around the perimeter and a nice clean cutoff from your stripes. If you look at most sports fields there would be at least 1 perimeter line.
- I then make sure I do the exact same mowing pattern for a couple of times to get the stripes ingrained really nicely. If the grass has been very moist, this may only take two times of mowing because the stripes stick really well then, but if it is dry, it is harder to get a stripe to stick.
- Then at some point I will try to get a stripe going another direction as well so you can get your checkered look or diamond pattern. This also helps make it so you are not constantly going over the same grass with your tires and causing turf damage, but since I AERA-vate and top seed most of my lawns, compacting the soil usually never does any damage.

Slater

Threads
Now that's what I've been trying to find out. Thank u very much

You CAN just mow the stripes and then mow your two passes around the house at the end, but doing them first, then after will make it so you don't bend and turn as much longer grass when turning around. Sometimes this can pack grass down and you may miss some when you make your passes at the end. And the reason I say two passes is because you don't want to send all of the cut grass into your clients flower bed :thumbdown:

Threads
Well on my mower I have a operator control discharge so I can control the grass. It was well worth the money. I've just always wondered how ppl striped cause where I live all the ppl here won't tell any tips causee they say they don't want to give business away.