Briggs and Stratton Quantum gasket sets

DaveyCrockett

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is my first post to Lawnworld. I hope you can help me.

Here in the UK gasket sets (part - 496117) for the Quantum engines are available cheaply, but the particular engine I have (12T882-1570-21 94101859) needs gasket set (part - 497316) which is an expensive special order. Does anyone know the difference between the parts, as I am hoping to be able to get away with the cheaper set by adapting the gaskets or reusing some serviceable gaskets and seals already on the engine.

Thank you, Dave

DaveyCrockett

Forum Newbie
Threads
Don't know if you have eBay in the UK, but they can be found for less than $15 if you put in the part number and hit "search."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gasket-Set-...596797?hash=item2caeb40e7d:g:1hkAAOSwkl5XdBte

Hi primerbulb, We do have eBay in the UK, but the cheaper US suppliers don't post to the UK. The best I can find over here that includes the oil seals is Equipatron and after shipping you're looking at over £38, as opposed to £12 for 496117 which looks identical, but I'm sure is not.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Without checking every part between the two kits. the head gasket and the bottom seals are different.

DaveyCrockett

Forum Newbie
Threads
Without checking every part between the two kits. the head gasket and the bottom seals are different.

Thanks, that helps. The original bottom oil seal is in reasonable condition.

I noticed the two types of head gasket, with the later type pointy on the internal circumference between the valves and cylinder. It seems to me that it shouldn't make an important difference. Has anyone tried substituting the rounded type?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks, that helps. The original bottom oil seal is in reasonable condition.

I noticed the two types of head gasket, with the later type pointy on the internal circumference between the valves and cylinder. It seems to me that it shouldn't make an important difference. Has anyone tried substituting the rounded type?

From memory , if I am thinking of the correct two gaskets that are not interchangeable, the bolt holes are different.
Briggs do nice things like that to make it easy to distinguish one from another.

DaveyCrockett

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just to wrap this old thread up, in case it helps anybody, In the end I took a punt on the cheaper set, part number 496117. The head gasket was the only difference between the sets as far as I could tell. The seals seemed the same. The mower ran well on rebuild and I don't think there is a problem.