Craftsman 30 CC 4 stroke Weedwacker Issues with Pull Start

Threads
  • / Craftsman 30 CC 4 stroke Weedwacker Issues with Pull Start
Hi there. This is my first post, so I hope it's in the right place.

I have a Craftsman model 316.731970 4 stroke, 30 CC Weedwacker. The pull start stopped working. The rope does not retract. I opened it up and found there are 2 sets of springs. One spring is on the rope spool, and a second spring is on a metal disk that sits behind the rope spool. It looks like both springs are intact. They don't appear to be broken, so I'm stumped. I don't have the best understanding of how the springs work, so I'm not sure how the 2 sets should interact or connect. The retractable teeth on the flywheel look like they are operating fine, and the clutch does not appear to be stuck or broken. Any suggestions?

IMG_3436.jpgIMG_3435.jpgIMG_3363.jpg

primerbulb120

Threads
The spring inside the starter pulley is the dampening spring. Leave it alone.
The spring behind the spool is the rewind spring.

1. Put the rewind spring and retainer in the starter housing with the spring side facing down.
2. Set the pulley in with the rope all the way unwound.
3. Slide the metal retainer on to hold the pulley on during the next step.
4. Turn the pulley clockwise until it doesn't want to turn any more. Don't force it or let go of it. The rope will become twisted during this step.
5. While holding on to the pulley, allow the rope to wind on to the pulley until it's all wound on.

If you run into a roadblock, let me know. :thumbsup:

Threads
The spring inside the starter pulley is the dampening spring. Leave it alone.
The spring behind the spool is the rewind spring.

1. Put the rewind spring and retainer in the starter housing with the spring side facing down.
2. Set the pulley in with the rope all the way unwound.
3. Slide the metal retainer on to hold the pulley on during the next step.
4. Turn the pulley clockwise until it doesn't want to turn any more. Don't force it or let go of it. The rope will become twisted during this step.
5. While holding on to the pulley, allow the rope to wind on to the pulley until it's all wound on.

If you run into a roadblock, let me know. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this and the rope spools onto the pulley regardless of which direction I turn it, and the rope does not retract after it is pulled. I think the starter spool must be broken in some way. That's my guess. I'll order another one, unless you have some other insight.

Happy Thanksgiving!

primerbulb120

Threads
Post pictures of both sides of the pulley, I'll tell you if it's broken or not. Starter pulleys don't typically break unless they've been worn out with lots of use, and your trimmer isn't very old.

Threads
Post pictures of both sides of the pulley, I'll tell you if it's broken or not. Starter pulleys don't typically break unless they've been worn out with lots of use, and your trimmer isn't very old.

Thanks again. Here are pics of the pulleys. I hope they are detailed enough.
IMG_3435.jpgIMG_3436.jpg

primerbulb120

Threads
I don't see anything wrong with that pulley, looks fine to me.

When you tried to follow my instructions, did you encounter any resistance after a while or did the pulley just keep turning?

I've got a Troy-Bilt weedeater that has the same starter. If you can't figure yours out I'll take mine apart and see if I can do anything. (That is, if I can find the time to do it. May be a few weeks.)

Or you could get a new starter assembly for $17.95 here: http://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/mtd/941031703s
(Part is $10, but I included shipping.)

Threads
I did get tension as I rotated the spring assembly. No need to take apart your trimmer, although I appreciate the offer. I'll just order a new assembly. Thanks for the help.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

primerbulb120

Threads
I did get tension as I rotated the spring assembly. No need to take apart your trimmer, although I appreciate the offer. I'll just order a new assembly. Thanks for the help.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Sounds good, let me know when you get it fixed! :thumbsup:

Caldude

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds good, let me know when you get it fixed! :thumbsup:
Hi there, I'd know that this was posted was a few years back. I have a question on removing the pull start housing. The opposite end of this assembly is held by two hex head screws inside a deep well. What size nut driver did you use to remove the screws? I did try my SAE nut drivers, but none of them would fit.

Threads
Hi there, I'd know that this was posted was a few years back. I have a question on removing the pull start housing. The opposite end of this assembly is held by two hex head screws inside a deep well. What size nut driver did you use to remove the screws? I did try my SAE nut drivers, but none of them would fit.

If it's not SAE then it's metric maybe 7 or 8 MM...... Usually there a T20 or T25 screw holding the housings on ...........

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!