Hustler Raptor Flip Up Fuel Gauge

mhavanti

Threads
gene,

I finally received a part needed to work on the hour gauge fiasco on pretty much any and all equipment. Hopefully after a few other projects are completed, I'll get on the engine run hour gauge set up.

Once I find a dual out rectifier, I'll also be working on a blade engaged hour meter as well. That way anyone wanting to know how long their blades are engaged (engine has to be running) will like this I'm betting. Especially for commercial operations. I can see how a commercial owner would like to be able to see how long the machine time compared to cutting time to better cost out operations.

Will make a video of both installations for those that may want to install them.

Hey Boob!

Max

gene_stl

Threads
gene,

I finally received a part needed to work on the hour gauge fiasco on pretty much any and all equipment. Hopefully after a few other projects are completed, I'll get on the engine run hour gauge set up.

Once I find a dual out rectifier, I'll also be working on a blade engaged hour meter as well. That way anyone wanting to know how long their blades are engaged (engine has to be running) will like this I'm betting. Especially for commercial operations. I can see how a commercial owner would like to be able to see how long the machine time compared to cutting time to better cost out operations.

Will make a video of both installations for those that may want to install them.

Hey Boob!

Max

I am pretty good with electronics. Tell me what you need and I'll build a couple of them.

mhavanti

Threads
Gene,

Sent you a PM.

Max

HEWENT2PARIS

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have had my 54" Flip Up for 13 months and my sending unit/ gauge has failed twice. The mower has 35 hours on it. I truly don't see how anyone could use this for business. I've had multiple failures ( deck lift etc) and I just cut my yard. Sure, you can open gas filler nozzle and look but this mower was not cheap. I should expect a mower like this to have better parts and design. I'm afraid I can't recommend the Hustler/ Bad Boy brand.

Mr. Mower

Threads
gene,

Hey Boob!

Max

What's the latest update or progress on the above mentioned?

Is there a video?

Jwilsonallison

Forum Newbie
Threads
So far good, I'm glad to say. :thumbsup:

But still only time will really be the factor on this.

The very first time that I encountered this, I actually did research on this problem specifically with the fuel tanks internal fuel sending units gauge design (I was able to get a copy of the fuel sending gauge internal design) along with it's electrical components and determined what the problem might be.

I first called Hustler Corp. and spoke with their engineer and explained the problem that I was encountering I was told that Hustler Corp. was aware of the problem and that it was only a matter of just replacing the fuel tank and fuel tanks internal sending unit to correct the problem.

After being told that, I knew that I could perform the task myself but Hustler Corp. would not allow sending the parts directly to me since it is considered a safety issue and that the only way to have it replaced was through an authorized Hustler service dealership (which I already knew) and that since my mower was still under warranty that it would be done at no cost. So I had the dealership do it and it worked fine for a few months but then the same problem happened again.

I contacted and spoke with the original manufacturer's ( Excel/Kelch ) engineer on the original design of the fuel tanks internal "fuel sending gauge", explained to them what I considered was the "root cause" specifically to the problem and it was determined that the units internal electrical components would become faulty over a short period of time and stay either "open" or "closed", resulting in the fuel gauge indicator showing either just "full" or "empty" and would not move.

I experienced this twice now since the first time this happened, the dealership just replaced the fuel tank along with the fuel sending unit with original equipment and well of course the problem came back after a few months (figured that it would).

The second time this happened I knew what I was in for since my mower is under warranty. So I took it a step further and called around and spoke with several other Hustler Authorized dealerships technicians and mechanics around the country and they all basically told me the same thing about just replacing the fuel tank and fuel sending unit with the exception of two places.

These two places basically explained me that Hustler Corp. knows about the problem with the faulty fuel tanks internal fuel gauge sending unit (which I already knew) and that Hustler determined that the fuel tanks internal fuel sending unit was a faulty design and was in the process of having it corrected with a new design concept.

So now this second time, again fuel tank has been replaced this time though the entire fuel tank is black in color no longer white and of course along with the newly designed fuel tanks internal fuel sending unit.

So again, only time will tell for sure if the problem is actually fixed for good once and for all or ?

Flip the seat up and check your mowers fuel tank, what color is it?....that should give you and indication but either way contact a Hustler Authorized sales & service place and they should take it from there to correct the problem (I would assume that your mowers is under warranty since it is a 2018 model so you should not have to pay for anything only transportation if needed for pick up and delivery, unless of course you can take care of that yourself?)

Good luck and hopefully this info helps you out in anyway. Also keep us posted on your decision on what you plan on doing.

Menards if you have any other questions regarding the fuel gauge problem send me a PM.

Do you have a part number you can share? I bought a used 2016 Raptor Flip Up and the fuel gauge just died.

Also, does the sender pop out or screw out of the fuel tank?

Thanks!!

Mower King

Threads
I have had my 54" Flip Up for 13 months and my sending unit/ gauge has failed twice. The mower has 35 hours on it. I truly don't see how anyone could use this for business. I've had multiple failures ( deck lift etc) and I just cut my yard. Sure, you can open gas filler nozzle and look but this mower was not cheap. I should expect a mower like this to have better parts and design. I'm afraid I can't recommend the Hustler/ Bad Boy brand.

Bad Boy is NOT part of Hustler....Big Dog is!

Mr. Mower

Threads
Do you have a part number you can share? I bought a used 2016 Raptor Flip Up and the fuel gauge just died.

Also, does the sender pop out or screw out of the fuel tank?

Thanks!!

The Fuel Tank's Sending Unit pop's out, though be extremely careful when performing this, just take your time gently working it out and it will eventually come off/pop up.

Here is the Fuel Tanks new Sending Unit's part number: 607052
( https://www.hustlerlawnmowerparts.com/cart.php )

Raptor Flip Up Fuel Sending Unit Replacement PN# 607052 pic#2.jpgRaptor Flip Up Fuel Sending Unit Replacement PN# 607052 pic#5.jpg

Attachments

• Hustler fuel gauge         service kit            PN 607052.jpg
    Hustler fuel gauge service kit PN 607052.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 15