Hustler Raptor Flip Up Fuel Gauge

zipper

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a somewhat different fuel gauge problem with my 2017 Fastrak. When tank is full, it reads full, but by the time I get an hour or so on the clock, it reads empty. So I can go 2 more hours, mowing on empty. Talked to my dealer service rep, who is new and haven’t heard back yet. So to recap, my gauge works, but needs calibration. I’m not sure that’s doable. Will add my dealers answer when I get it. It’s been 3 days since I talked to them.

Mr. Mower

Threads
Three days have passed and you haven't heard back from that specific dealer?!

You should have heard back from him that same day or the next day at least. I'd suggest that you call another Hustler authorized sales & service or Hustler Corp. directly and inquire with them.

What type of fuel gauge do you have?

Is it the standard square digital indicator type model or the old fashion round glass type needle style?

Also, specifically what model is your Hustler mower?

Last edited:

zipper

Forum Newbie
Threads
I tried adding a picture of my round, needle style Excel gauge, but not sure it will show up where it’s suppose to. First timer, ya know. I told my dealer it was not a life or death situation, so no hurry. And, yes, I’m told by da’ wife all the time......nice guys finish last.

Attachments

• 533C641F-CCD9-4CB2-9CE6-3D33EB135A7D.jpg
    533C641F-CCD9-4CB2-9CE6-3D33EB135A7D.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 16

zipper

Forum Newbie
Threads
And forgot...it’s a 2017 Fastrak, 54”.

Mr. Mower

Threads
Ah yes, that's the exact same type of fuel gauge indicator (see post #6) that I have on my Hustler Raptor Flip Up.

Go back and check your fuel tank also, is it basically the same style "white in color" (again I posted a picture of the original white fuel tank in post #8, the new one is black in color)?

If it is then you basically are more than likely experiencing the same problem as I was with your fuel gauge indicator giving false readings.

Also is your mower still under warranty?

If so then just take it to a Hustler authorized sales & service and they should be able to take care of you, with you not having to pay $ out of pocket. One of the things that warranty does not cover is transportation, for pickup and delivery. That is if you do not not have any means of doing that yourself.

If they replace the entire fuel tank then remember the new tank should be black in color not white.

zipper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, like I said in my original post, can it be calibrated? My tank is black and I am under warranty. I have just turned over 20 hours.

Mr. Mower

Threads
Well, like I said in my original post, can it be calibrated? My tank is black and I am under warranty. I have just turned over 20 hours.

Calibration of the fuel gauge really has nothing to do with that specific problem. But of course any gauge can be checked for accuracy with a calibration performed on it. Though, where did you come up with the fuel gauge needing a calibration anyway? Yes the possibility of the fuel gauge becoming faulty might be a slim chance but in this case, that's not the solution to solving the problem.

But if you really are concerned that the fuel gauge's "calibration" is in error and plays a role in the problem that you are encountering then by all means swap out the fuel gauge with a new one? Though, you do that and the problem will still be there, with the fuel gauge not indicating correctly, just telling you.

https://www.themowershop.com/Hustler-PTO-Kit-776476.item

But why pay for something that you can get for free, under warranty?

The problem will more than likely be with the fuel tanks internal fuel gauge sending unit. Reason being is that the fuel gauges sending unit is not receiving the correct voltage to give the proper readings for the fuel gauge to indicate a correct reading on the meter, in reference to the fuel sending units float component not giving the correct level of fuel/gas in the fuel tank. It basically has to do with the fuel tanks sending unit's internal components going bad.

But like I said....take it to the dealer and let them handle it.

Last edited:

mhavanti

Threads
No, the SD 60 didn't come with a fuel gauge. When I get around to it, I'll put something together.

Sounds like all the problems with the original system is a lack of grounding the internals and probably didn't put a heavy enough diode in the line if any for the sending unit.

Thanks for the information.

Max

zipper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Calibration of the fuel gauge really has nothing to do with that specific problem. But of course any gauge can be checked for accuracy with a calibration performed on it. Though, where did you come up with the fuel gauge needing a calibration anyway? Yes the possibility of the fuel gauge becoming faulty might be a slim chance but in this case, that's not the solution to solving the problem.

But if you really are concerned that the fuel gauge's "calibration" is in error and plays a role in the problem that you are encountering then by all means swap out the fuel gauge with a new one? Though, you do that and the problem will still be there, with the fuel gauge not indicating correctly, just telling you.

The problem will more than likely be with the fuel tanks internal fuel gauge sending unit. Reason being is that the fuel gauges sending unit is not receiving the correct voltage to give the proper readings for the fuel gauge to indicate a correct reading on the meter, in reference to the fuel sending units float component not giving the correct level of fuel/gas in the fuel tank. It basically has to do with the fuel tanks sending unit's internal components going bad.

But like I said....take it to the dealer and let them handle it.

I believe you would be correct. I did not state my intentions correctly, but I agree that it would be the sending unit, not the gauge itself. I’ll have to take it in.
Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

gene_stl

Threads
Thank you Mr. Mower for posting this thread. I have a Raptor Flip Up 54 inch which was delivered about one year or so ago. I am having all kinds of minor annoyances with it including the fuel gauge problem. Also one side of the parking brake switches does not work (I put a rubber stick on foot as a temp fix so I can start the thing ) and day before yesterday the battery crapped out. It had a date sticker of November 2015 on it which is a long time considering the unit was delivered spring of 2017.

I emailed them and got the safety bullshit. I don't want to pay $150 to have them look at under warranty (transportation charges) and I also don't want a black fuel tank because if the gauge is not working then you won't be able to see how much gas is in the tank. Have you tried to buy a new sensor from Kelch. I am going to look into whether I can get that Hall effect device since that is the only component on there. My gauge goes to empty when I unplug the sensor and then full when plugged in regardless of fuel level.

I was VERY non plussed with the response from Hustler/Excel