The Daily Yardman Thread

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

GOOD, very good, BUT next time, how bout usin a D-12 CAT and singin the tune ( remember the H-S football games) .. Push Em Back, Push Em Back, Waaaaaaaay back, .. :thumbsup:..:laughing:..:laughing:
For the brush pile it is indeed about pushing it back as far as possible, but for the others it's about turning them over. Most of the decomposition happens inside the pile. The first pile is the accumulating pile for the garden compost. Nearby it but not pictured are the finishing and finished piles. It's mostly grass clippings and ground up leaves. Next to the brush pile is the bulk leaf pile. They're much larger than they appear in the photos.

I don't think a dozer is the right machine for the job. :tongue:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

For the brush pile it is indeed about pushing it back as far as possible, but for the others it's about turning them over. Most of the decomposition happens inside the pile. The first pile is the accumulating pile for the garden compost. Nearby it but not pictured are the finishing and finished piles. It's mostly grass clippings and ground up leaves. Next to the brush pile is the bulk leaf pile. They're much larger than they appear in the photos.

I don't think a dozer is the right machine for the job. :tongue:

VEE haff vays uv cunvinnseeng the dissidents .. jah !

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

When we are in a good rain cycle, I run up to 10 compost bins with grass clippings, shredded tress prunings ( olives & pines ) and some fresh manure.
Right now they are all empty cause there is no rain so no grass and the livestock are grazing the grass around the workshop.
Up home I run 3 compost bins as it is just a std 1/4 acre house plot.

Turning is the big thing.
I used to have a compost tumbler, it served me well for 30 years but finally rusted out and the new ones are all too small.
The trick I use is to fork from one bin into the next thus the end bins are always empty so I can toss left one day & right the next.
Usually get useable compost in 10 days. If not needed right then it goes into a bigger bin & gets turned into vermipost courtsey of earth worms & curl grubs.
Sounds like a lot of work but it takes a lazy 2 minutes to toss a bin into its neighbour and while doing so adjust the moisture level.

Like most novices when I started I got all mixed up with the bull dust about balancing PKN ratios, written by all the well meaning clots, most of which I guess lived in units and never touched compost unless they bought it from a supermarket.

So now all I worry about is moisture.
Get it right and I just about get flames coming out of the bins.
The veggies are all grown in 100% compost and they are great

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

my favorite show is on the tellie, see ya later folks....going to watch "Little Big Shots"

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads

The problem I have with my compost is too much brown and not enough green. I collect and bring home way more leaves than grass. No manure readily available, not for free anyway. I don't bag much grass to begin with and I'll only put grass from untreated lawns in our veggie garden compost. Most of the grass I do collect from our lawn and others that are not treated goes in the aisles and around plants for weed control. The kitchen scraps and non-stalky weeds go in the pile too. There's another pile for the stalky stuff and sticks. Having the tractor helps a lot. I dumped 4 buckets of finished compost over the garden fence while I was at it.

We get plenty of rain but it takes a good bit of it to wet those ground up leaves, so I start with them thinly spread out until they're wet.

Luffydog

Threads

Starting to think this thread is the prop your feet up and relax thread

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

The problem I have with my compost is too much brown and not enough green. I collect and bring home way more leaves than grass. No manure readily available, not for free anyway. I don't bag much grass to begin with and I'll only put grass from untreated lawns in our veggie garden compost. Most of the grass I do collect from our lawn and others that are not treated goes in the aisles and around plants for weed control. The kitchen scraps and non-stalky weeds go in the pile too. There's another pile for the stalky stuff and sticks. Having the tractor helps a lot. I dumped 4 buckets of finished compost over the garden fence while I was at it.

We get plenty of rain but it takes a good bit of it to wet those ground up leaves, so I start with them thinly spread out until they're wet.

There's PLENTY of manure and a few people on this site I wish you'd lob onto the pile !! .. :laughing:..:laughing:

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads

There's PLENTY of manure and a few people on this site I wish you'd lob onto the pile !! .. :laughing:..:laughing:
:laughing::thumbsup::smile::laughing::thumbsup:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

Starting to think this thread is the prop your feet up and relax thread

Wow, you have not been here that long and already figured it out. You are welcome to kick your recliner out and join us any time.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Wow, you have not been here that long and already figured it out. You are welcome to kick your recliner out and join us any time.

NOT SO FAST CHUCK !! I haven't found out how much money we can extort from him, maybe he's a lottery winner !!! .. :laughing:..:laughing: