The Daily Yardman Thread

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: Informatin Impossible to Find on the WWW,

BEECH, BEECH, BEECH, I aint NEVER heard any sardines packed in oil complaining !! ..:laughing:..:laughing:

Boo,

Need I point out that the sardines are dead! I on the other hand was not!

Rog

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Daytona 500 Question

OK,

You guys know my interest in most sports is limited at best, but I did watch the race yesterday (well at least I watched when I wasn't snoozing) and I heard someone mention that this would be the last race using restrictor plates. I DO know what they are and I am aware they have been the source of much hate and discontent, but as with all things today, safety comes first. So how about explaining to me what will replace them and what the pros and cons of the replacements will be? I'm sure we aren't going to return to the good old days of whoever could build the best engine/vehicle combination and could go the fastest would win. Watching 30 perfectly matched cars zooming around the track, while their drivers and pit crews play a chess game designed to get them in front at the very end, is pretty damn boring..

Second Question: I realize that the exterior bodies of the race cars must conform to the actual dimensions of the cars they represent, but - - But! - - Is there any other component in the entire vehicle that is made by Ford, Toyota or GM? - Probably not, right?

Third Question: No Mopar vehicles. How come?

Thanks for straightening me out..

Rog

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: Daytona 500 Question

OK,

You guys know my interest in most sports is limited at best, but I did watch the race yesterday (well at least I watched when I wasn't snoozing) and I heard someone mention that this would be the last race using restrictor plates. I DO know what they are and I am aware they have been the source of much hate and discontent, but as with all things today, safety comes first. So how about explaining to me what will replace them and what the pros and cons of the replacements will be? I'm sure we aren't going to return to the good old days of whoever could build the best engine/vehicle combination and could go the fastest would win. Watching 30 perfectly matched cars zooming around the track, while their drivers and pit crews play a chess game designed to get them in front at the very end, is pretty damn boring..

Second Question: I realize that the exterior bodies of the race cars must conform to the actual dimensions of the cars they represent, but - - But! - - Is there any other component in the entire vehicle that is made by Ford, Toyota or GM? - Probably not, right?

Third Question: No Mopar vehicles. How come?

Thanks for straightening me out..

Rog

Skipper,
I am no expert and am going to offer my recollections of what I have heard.
The restrictor plate is gonna be replaced by a similar device that has a tapered spacer as opposed to the straight bores currently in use.
I do not know if the new spacer will have tapered holes or just one large tapered area.
The HP is going to be reduced from 750 to 550. and, here I had been thinking that racing was intended to further automotive development...HA !

If you wanna see REAL development, watch Formula E

Car bodies resemble their retail counterparts in appearance and trim only.
The bodies must fit a strict shape as determined by NASCAR templates.

I am of the understanding that the engines must be built with parts provided by the manufacturer represented by the vehicle body.

Mopar lost its affiliation with Penske in 2013 due to bureaucratic maneuvering by the manufacturer. Penske got a better deal from Ford.
Chrysler was not able to entice any other teams, so its presence was eliminated.
There is talk that Chrysler, as well as Nissan, may be back in 2020.

As usual, I have told you more than I know............

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Now I can sit in my house and plow as well as mow. $50,000 for just the mower portion!
https://youtu.be/1gVGjn7lUek

NO PROBLEM Darryl, a second, third, fourth & fifth Mortgage should get you the required funds, as well as lost sleep, & a possible coronary when the payments come due, life is short, enjoy, & and it's kinda hard to collect from the deceased .. :laughing:..:laughing:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Views: 473,448

Total views 873

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Whats all that white stuff on the ground and why do you need to push it around?

Tom

That's something I need badly right now. I haven't had enough snow in my area to warrant running my full plowing route yet this winter. And of course I spent thousands gearing up for what I thought would be a snowy winter...all dressed up and nowhere to go.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
More engine building education

My education continues......

In the old days, you put an engine together and start it up.
Not no more..........
Nowadays, you gotta pre oik the lubrication system by using a tool to spin the oil pump and circulate the oil.
Numerous tools out there to do the job, and they all work the same.

Right???????

Well, not exactly.

Here is the tool which I purchased:

Oilpumptool2.JPGOilpumptool1.jpg

Notice how the flanges of the spool section are farther apart than those on the distributor?
Bad,BAd,BAD !!

These flanges are intended to allow pressure to build in the lifter oil galley.
The top flange does not seat in the distributor's bore, allowing oil to surge up thru that area, preventing pressure from building up.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Of COURSE, the manufacturer sells "1000's" of these, but I am the ONLY one to have this problem!
WHAT A SURPRISE !!

Here's one that is correctly designed:

PrimeTool800.JPG

See how the spool more closely mimics the same area of the distributor??

WHY DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING TO ME ??

I feel like John McLane.....................