The Daily Yardman Thread

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Avast ye land lubbers, we be takin' on water! Man the pumps...

Ahoy all!

Here we are in - (I was going to say 'sunny') - Florida, where it's lots warmer than the sub-zero temps everyone in Maine has been enjoying..

Last night we were knocked out of bed at 0430 when one of the fantastic thunderstorms the South is known for came rolling by to our South. Thankfully it wasn't right over us as the thunder rolled on steadily for 20 minutes without relent! Very impressive!

The wind, rain and tide all aligned to flood this place, with water over the boat dock and several inches in the parking lot! It had receded by 6" when I took the attached picture.

Word to the wise: Do not buy water front property in Florida! . Jus' sayin'....

Roger

Attachments

• DSCN2386.jpg
    DSCN2386.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 10

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
After ya have lived in Fl. awhile, ya know better than to make your home on or near the coastline, and livin in the "flat-lands" (South of Lake Okeechobee) ... it invites disaster, even here in Central Fl. living "centered" of coastlines, ya still need to be on high ground, (luckily there's lots of lakes and "retention-ponds" for drainage) up here, yep there are hills & valleys in Central Fl. ( check out "Howie in the Hills" ) We do get some hellacious rainstorms, so think about where you're gonna settle in......... :thumbsup:

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
P.S. - Maybe you guys can help. I'm trying to update some software and I've been looking for the "any" key on my keyboard for hours and can't find it. Do any of you know where it is? I don't want to hit the wrong key.

You are obviously blonde............

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: Avast ye land lubbers, we be takin' on water! Man the pumps...

Ahoy all!

Here we are in - (I was going to say 'sunny') - Florida, where it's lots warmer than the sub-zero temps everyone in Maine has been enjoying..

Last night we were knocked out of bed at 0430 when one of the fantastic thunderstorms the South is known for came rolling by to our South. Thankfully it wasn't right over us as the thunder rolled on steadily for 20 minutes without relent! Very impressive!

The wind, rain and tide all aligned to flood this place, with water over the boat dock and several inches in the parking lot! It had receded by 6" when I took the attached picture.

Roger

We owned a cabin on the St. Johns River just south of Lake George for 16 years.
In that time we had seen or dock practically dry, and a few times the River rose to about a foot over our dock.
Never over our sea wall,tho.
The St. Johns flood basin is rather vast, and it tales a bunch of water to cause it to flood; also takes a long time to recede...

Our house was on a man made canal off a small lake.
We had seen water there over our dock maybe 2x in 10 years, but also so law that
weeds grew up put of the canal bottom so tall and thick that, when the water cam e back up,
we could no longer use the boat to get thru.........

Seems that, when you live on fresh water in Florida, it is either too high or too low...............

Pumper54

Threads
Ronno said "Seems that, when you live on fresh water in Florida, it is either too high or too low..." you can say the same thing about being near the coast in Texas. Lake Conroe has a pool level (normal water level) of 201 feet above sea level and then you think about it being 100 MILES from the coast you can see just what the terrain looks like.

Me................................... Gulf of mexico

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ronno said "Seems that, when you live on fresh water in Florida, it is either too high or too low..." you can say the same thing about being near the coast in Texas. Lake Conroe has a pool level (normal water level) of 201 feet above sea level and then you think about it being 100 MILES from the coast you can see just what the terrain looks like.

Me................................... Gulf of mexico

My daughter and her family live between Houston and Galveston.
Landlocked for sure...til it rains..........
The area where they live used to be rice paddies................
Took about 8" of water with Harvey...in and out, but enough to do loads of damage.......

Threads

Ahoy all!

Roger

Roger where ya'll at in Florida ????

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Roger where ya'll at in Florida ????

His wifey is probably shoppin, and he's probably wishin he was at Hooters glommin down a Hot Pastrami Sandwich & Fries ,.. :laughing:..:laughing: ( he's not far from me ... and we b close to trouble )

Threads

His wifey is probably shoppin, and he's probably wishin he was at Hooters glommin down a Hot Pastrami Sandwich & Fries ,.. :laughing:..:laughing: ( he's not far from me ... and we b close to trouble )

When I was living in Alabama I used to date a Hooters girl........ I always ordered the buffalo shrimp and she made sure my plate had double the amount of shrimp at no xtra cost..... That was the good life.... Specially when we were at home LOL...............