Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

My IQ exceeds the combined IQ of most 2 to 3 man mowing crews. :laughing:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Well of course Darryl, I had no knowledge of your background or vocation, ( how in the hell did a scientist get such a great sense of humor ?? ) my uncle was a scientist at the ol Cape-Canaveral during the 50s & 60s (very-dry sense of humor) anyway I believe what I learned in Elementary and Jr. High schools, the ice-ages then warming cycles and so forth, I accept it easily when I see pictures of the Grand-Canyon, all that melting ice made a lot of water, and water I believe is what formed that canyon, LOT'S of water of a VERRRRRRRY Lonnnnnng time, I just find that mankind, since the inception of the combustion engine and the advent of the Industrial Age could possibly have contributed THAT much damage to this planet, besides, this place is half-way to HELL already !! ..:laughing:..:laughing:

Well I trained in the metals industry, a very very dirty business.
Down here climate change is more contraversal that religion is so I work around it .
Everything we do creates waste.
You would not want to swim in a pool that a dozen people had urinated & deficated in and if some one lets out a stinker you walk outside.
Yet we are happy for industry to do exactly the same thing when making stuff we don't need that will only last a short while.

When I profiled my very first oil burning furnace back in the 70's the Oxygen content of Sydney air was 21.75% it is now down to 19% and occasionally can drop even lower.
When I did my first carbon boil ( reducing the carbon content in iron ) the charge hand mentioned that 10 minutes of full boil puts out more AIR BORNE pollution than every car truck & motorcycle in the counrty does in a month.
We did about 2 hours of boiling a week.

This is where I get pisssed about laws on emissions from mowers & lawn care equipment that in the long run drastically reduces their service life and cheap mowers that split their bases and get tossed out after a season or two.

We are facing an employment crisis.
It takes more time ( employed hours ) to fix a mower than it does to make a new one.
Thus it makes economic sense to make better quality consummer durables that can be repaired and have a longer service life, but to make the filthy rich who have more annual income that 1/3 of the countries in the 3rd world we continue to make disposable trash.

Stand of soap box and waits for incoming rotten cabbages ( which he will compost )

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

My IQ exceeds the combined IQ of most 2 to 3 man mowing crews. :laughing:

FRIGGEN Scholars ....... most folks I knew, went to college just so's they could their Mrs. or Mr. ..

000204~1.GIF

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Scientists tend to have a sense of humor. It's engineers that don't, lol.

My career was mostly doing environmental site assessments and remediation of contaminated soil and groundwater, but I did a lot of other types of work as well. Consultants don't tend to say "sorry we don't do that" when a client approaches them with a prospective project. One of my projects was responding to a call from IBM for dirty outside windows at one of their research facilities! It turned out that acid rain was dissolving the masonry of the building and it was running down the windows causing mineral deposits to accumulate on them. They rejected my proposed solution of acid washing the windows and instead replaced them.

What complicates predictions of the effects of "greenhouse gasses" is the natural feedback loops that tend to attenuate imbalances. For instance warmer temperatures increase evaporation, which means more clouds that have a cooling effect.

What differentiates our current warming trend from natural warming and cooling cycles is the rate of change, which is far greater than normal, which makes it difficult for plants to adapt. Plants can't just pack up and move the way animals can.

I'm not a subscriber to the Doomsday predictions of some, but I do believe that our activities have had an effect on our climate and that it would be wise to try to limit our greenhouse gas emissions. That's all I can say for now, I've reached my self-imposed electrical energy quota for the day. :rolleyes:

The problem is no one listens to scientist ,
if they do listen they do not hear
If they do hear they do not understand.

However when an engineer talks every one listens but when we make an ironical joke they take it as gospel and act on what we said then blame us when things go wrong.
Scientists rarely get sued engineers get sued on a daily basis.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads

Scientists rarely get sued engineers get sued on a daily basis.

That's because scientists use qualifiers such as "it appears that", "based on the available data", "according to" etc so that it is merely an opinion whereas engineers state things as if they are undeniable facts. :smile:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

That's because scientists use qualifiers such as "it appears that", "based on the available data", "according to" etc so that it is merely an opinion whereas engineers state things as if they are undeniable facts. :smile:

Qualifiers or weesal words ?
OTOH if I said "that bolt should carry the load in normal use by suitably qualified people properly trained if installed by a properly trained technician to the relevent specifications " then I would be a politican not an engineer.

Metallurgists are a funny breed.
Scientist think we are engineers and
Engineers think we are scientists
Accountants think we are magicians

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

Qualifiers or weesal words ?
OTOH if I said "that bolt should carry the load in normal use by suitably qualified people properly trained if installed by a properly trained technician to the relevent specifications " then I would be a politican not an engineer.

Metallurgists are a funny breed.
Scientist think we are engineers and
Engineers think we are scientists
Accountants think we are magicians

I was a purchasing manager.
We became so used to having to do so much with so little in such a short time,
that we got to where we could do virtually anything with practically nothing in no time at all..........