The Daily Yardman Thread

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: Old,fat and slow..........

Ahhhh com'on.. You know that was a neat mechanical invention, digital valve control! It's going to revolutionize gasoline engines just when (those who don't really understand batteries) thought that all cars would be battery operated in a few years and we'd all be crawling along the sidewalks like our grand daughters in their battery operated, pink, Barbie-mobiles!

Ya gotta admit, it's a cool idea!

Rog

Didn't say I did NOT like it..I do, but I don't think we'll see it in OUR lifetime ... :confused2:

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Back when I used to race bicycles I rode rollers off season. Basically it's just 2 rollers in the back and one in the front that you have to balance on. It encourages good form...anything less and you crash! But it's hot and boring. It makes a big difference when you don't have the wind to dry you off. I say just drop down a gear or 2 and try to keep your cadence up.

I was going to go for a bike ride last week. Went to check on my bike in the garage. I had the helmet clipped to the handlebars with my gloves in it. The helmet was full of sunflower seeds, the gloves were chewed up and the helmet smelled like mouse piss. Tossed them in the trash. I need new riding shoes too. The soles on those hardened up and the glue dried up. Also in the trash. I could use a new jersey too. I don't even know where mine would be at this point. So that's like $200 or so just to get outfitted with riding gear, and I haven't even evaluated the bike itself. New tires are probably in order and new handlebar tape as well. The rest should be ok, but a new saddle would be nice. I have a racing saddle on mine that isn't exactly comfy.

I have a set of rollers.Never could seem to quite get the hang of them.
As for all the gear, I usually keep my helmet,gloves,shoes,sunglasses, etc in the house or in my truck so I don't have
to round it all up in short order.
Tires can tend to rot away with time, and I'm sure many of my bikes hanging on the wall would need them should I decode to
pull one down to ride.I have a couple bikes that I keep more or less ready to go should the urge strike, however,
lately whenever the urge to ride strikes, I usually sit down til it passes................

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads

I have a set of rollers.Never could seem to quite get the hang of them.
As for all the gear, I usually keep my helmet,gloves,shoes,sunglasses, etc in the house or in my truck so I don't have
to round it all up in short order.
Tires can tend to rot away with time, and I'm sure many of my bikes hanging on the wall would need them should I decode to
pull one down to ride.I have a couple bikes that I keep more or less ready to go should the urge strike, however,
lately whenever the urge to ride strikes, I usually sit down til it passes................
Helps to get started on rollers by riding them in an interior doorway. Honestly at this point if I were to use them I would probably remove the front wheel and use the fork stand that I bought for my wife.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cycling my way to a trandaxle rebuild!

Helps to get started on rollers by riding them in an interior doorway. Honestly at this point if I were to use them I would probably remove the front wheel and use the fork stand that I bought for my wife.

I prefer riding the road to anything else.
Scenery to see, sure.
But, the need for constant attention to turns, road hazards to avoid, traffic,and short term and long term destinations
seem to make the miles and minutes pass more easily.

I accept the probability that I may not ever be as fast as I used to be,but the
possibility of some relatively short duration (a week or so) loaded touring still entices me.
My best riding buddy is not interested in riding his bike with 50# of stuff on it, but I have another
friend who is interested.
That is definitely a fall or spring activity,tho.
Summer heat would be brutal enough on the road, but I need some cooler temps at night.

Anyhoo, after a discouraging uphill ride yesterday, I rode with friends today and felt way better!

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
An open question to the technologically inclined

I have two young friends who recently (Sunday) told me that they had been having a conversation with other friends a couple of days previously and three topics were covered, Coyotes, Cicadas and Toyotas. After talking about those things, when they went to check something on their phone(s-?) all three things came up on the screen(s-?). Information about coyotes, cicadas and an ad for Toyotas. They firmly believe that their phone(s-?) were listening in on their private conversations.

Do you guys think that is possible? Wrong question. Of course it is possible! Do you guys think that sort of thing is happening?

Rog

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Didn't say I did NOT like it..I do, but I don't think we'll see it in OUR lifetime ... :confused2:

That's silly, test engines have already been made available to auto manufacturers in various countries to experiment with and if the benefits prove to be true, we'll see them sooner than later. Everybody is struggling to decrease emissions, increase fuel economy and get more power output with less engine. Of course they are going to implement the technology, just as they have with every other improvement that may give them an edge over their competition.

Get yer head out of the sand, (which is a much better place than where Ron seem to think it is) and embrace changes . They are coming whether you like it or not!

Rog

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

I used to do the same most of the time. The only time I wore a helmet was during races because they were required. Then my friend Paula who is a physical therapist working with traumatic brain injury patients gave me ample reason to wear one with a not so little speech. The Jerseys are nice due to the rear pockets. I can fit a spare tube, banana and water bottle in there.

Darryl,

Like most of the crap I come up with, it's just that - crap! I have a 52 year old son who was in a sever auto accident in 1988, which gave him TBI. He was unconscious for 16 days and when he finally came to he couldn't even speak for several weeks after that. It has been a long slow process, but I'd say now he functions about as well as a 12 year old (he can and does ride a bike, miles and miles and miles - he has worn out dozens of them over the years). So my usual bravado is just so much B.S.

I am well aware of the need for helmets and other safety equipment. Never take anything I say very seriously..

Roger B

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

If you were in the pic there would be 13 ........

WELLLLLLLLLL... imagine THAT !! ... a Baker's Dozen !! .. :thumbsup:

!cid_1_1151236790@web30905_mail_mud_yahoo.gif ... Click for action

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

That's silly, test engines have already been made available to auto manufacturers in various countries to experiment with and if the benefits prove to be true, we'll see them sooner than later. Everybody is struggling to decrease emissions, increase fuel economy and get more power output with less engine. Of course they are going to implement the technology, just as they have with every other improvement that may give them an edge over their competition.

Get yer head out of the sand, (which is a much better place than where Ron seem to think it is) and embrace changes . They are coming whether you like it or not!

Rog

I screwed up when I said OUR lifetime, .. I'll just say MY lifetime, seein's I live life in the fast lane, don't give a ratsass for anything, one foot in the grave and the other on a banana-peel, I don't think I'll see my 100th Birthday, SOooooo ....... just in case, A.M.F. .. :laughing:..:laughing:..:laughing:..:laughing: