The Daily Yardman Thread

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

The tranny I did in an MTD a couple of months ago called for the MTD grease which I don't remember the part number of but is about the same consistency of 00 snapper grease but is about $17 per 8 ounces.

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Ilengine,

The MTD P/N for their transaxle grease is 737-0148 and is listed at $20.06/19 oz.

We are exploring alternative (less expensive) lubricants and if green is your color then John Deere Corn Head Grease is your lube.

Roger

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Far be it for me to lay any claim to know better than the manufacturers, but I have never been happy with the distribution of grease inside any box I have pulled down.
To my thinking, the grease has always been too thick and most seems to be rolled into logs reminisent to things we older blokes see in the toilet bowl.
Age and particularly water always seem to have broken down the grease.
This is why I use lighter greases than recommended.
I play with a lot of vintage motorcycles and lot of them used grease in their boxes prior to the invention of the spring loaded oil seal.
All of them use either 0 or 00 grease.
The only caveat I would put in was to check the grease is safe for brass & bronze bushes.
An no I am not familiar with either of those mobil products.
I get my grease from the local tractor parts shop in 20 lb ( 5 gal ) drums and have done that for many years even before I was a mower mechanic.
Mainly because I am cheap.
I still have about 1/2 the drum of patrolium jelly I bought when I was 20 and it was the life savers who put me onto that.
Back then the boat crews applied it liberally to their speedos, oars, thighs & arms.
They were paying 4 times as much for a 5 gal drum as I was paying for a 8 oz tube so it was a no brainer, although I did get some funny comments from various girlfrends when they saw it on the shelf.

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Still Greasy...

Bert man,

I can relate with parsimony, folks from Maine have a reputation for being frugal and I do my best to maintain that image.

You must use the Vaseline for more than slicking up your Speedo and waterproofing your oars.. I didn't think it even qualified as a grease.. I can imagine that half-a-drum of the stuff would raise the eyebrows of a few ladies, but a fellow has to be ready, like a boy scout... Right? (I checked and found 'Scouts Australia", just to be sure they use the same motto.)

I'm going to be away for a week (hunting) so I won't be posting anything after tomorrow morning.

I will do my do-diligence and insure whatever grease I end up with will not attack brass and related metals..

So, until I return, mind the wombats and water the wallabies..

Roger

Pumper54

Threads

Adding a bit of levity to this thread and with the mention of Vaseline (petroleum jelly) in large amounts reminded me of a story I read several years ago related by a crew member of a "tall ship" that had sailed into the Caribbean and called on the Port of Key West, Florida. The ship was a wooden ship and the crew was in search of anti-chaffing material for the mast/boom connections. The crew having never been to Key West before was unaware of the 'uniqueness' of the locals and were meet with looks of awe when they started asking people for large pieces of leather and 5 gallon buckets of Vaseline. Seems some folks in Key West used leather and Vaseline for a far different use then as anti-chaffing material. ;-)
Tom

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Re: Still Greasy...

Bert man,

I can relate with parsimony, folks from Maine have a reputation for being frugal and I do my best to maintain that image.

You must use the Vaseline for more than slicking up your Speedo and waterproofing your oars.. I didn't think it even qualified as a grease.. I can imagine that half-a-drum of the stuff would raise the eyebrows of a few ladies, but a fellow has to be ready, like a boy scout... Right? (I checked and found 'Scouts Australia", just to be sure they use the same motto.)

I'm going to be away for a week (hunting) so I won't be posting anything after tomorrow morning.

I will do my do-diligence and insure whatever grease I end up with will not attack brass and related metals..

So, until I return, mind the wombats and water the wallabies..

Roger

Mainly used for inserting oil seals.
It is soluiable in oil so when the engine gets hot it dissolves away.
I mix it with graphite powder to make low melt graphite grease which I use a lot on plastic bushes.
And before I cottoned on to rubber grease I use it a lot on O rings to stop them rolling during assembly .
I have even been know to put some on my lips now & then.

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Tom and Bert-Man,

Well, I've returned from an unsuccessful week of hunting. Had fun, had some snow (always good for tracking) enjoyed family and friends, couldn't find any deer..

Tom, at one point in my life, I lived in the Florida Keys (Marathon) and after going into the submarine service got stationed in Key West for a couple years. Having made the rounds of various bars (Capt'n Tony's comes to mind - this was back in the 60's) I'd have to politely disagree with you.... I believe the local inhabitants did indeed use leather and Vaseline as anti 'chaffing' materials! . . . However, that's just a guess on my part, of course.. I do know you have to "worm, serve and parcel" yer riggin' matey, to avoid chaffin' ..

Bert-Man,

I have always used silicone grease whenever working with 'O'-rings, with the understanding that oil based lubricants would cause them to break down over time. We used a lot of it in electrical work (as a di-electric) and I grew very fond of it's lubricating properties. It's great for the new pop-in-and-out plastic 'hatches' they use in boats now-a-days. makes them easier to remove or replace and maintains flexibility of the 'O'-rings as well as making them waterproof, (well, only 'water resistant' - in todays litigious world).

Roger

Pumper54

Threads

Roger,
Good story about Key West, and Thank you for your service.
Tom

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Roger,
Thank you for your service.
Tom

Tom,

Thank you for your recognition, AND for your service as a First Responder!

Roger

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: Still Greasy...

I mix it with graphite powder to make low melt graphite grease which I use a lot on plastic bushes.

B-Mobil-Man,

You had me there for a moment.. I read that as 'plastic brushes' and was truly puzzled, then I re-read it and realized my mistake, it's "plastic bushes", but that didn't really help.. You mean like plastic 'bushings'? A device that it pressed into a hole in some material, that is designed to protect some other material passing through the hole??... (Like wire through a steel bulkhead?)

Roger