The Daily Yardman Thread

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Not hard to start at all, but your air leak comment had also crossed my mind.
I'll check it out. Thanks!

Quit eatin all those greens and cabbage, and beans too, and you wouldn't have so many "air-leaks" ..:laughing:..:laughing:

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

Quit eatin all those greens and cabbage, and beans too, and you wouldn't have so many "air-leaks" ..:laughing:..:laughing:

Yeah, but MY gas contains NO ethanol...........

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

So I am still working on putting the engine back in the Toro. Lots of stuff to do before the engine goes back in. Replacing wires that need to be and replacing fuel lines and the such. So I went online to find supplies as local stuff cost way too much. Found fuel line 10 ft for $10.00, Then hose clamps for $4.00. Fuel filter for $5.00. Total $19.00. While in the shopping cart it had a section of "People that purchased this also purchased this". I started looking at it and noticed it was mostly bulk purchases. I normally buy the most for the least I can find as long as the quality is up to par. Try not to buy chines knockoff crap. Well the fuel line in 25 ft roll that is designed to run E85 was $18.55, Clamps that are for fuel injectors was $7.99 for 10 pack. the fuel filters where $10.99 for 20 pack. So for $37.53 I got 10 times more than I need at this moment. So for double the money, I got 10 times more. Now that is shopping!!!

Forgot about the 2-day free shipping.

Chuck, you are a man after my own heart... Ten times the stuff for only twice the dust and free shipping! Now that is shopping brother! I is proud of you!

Rog

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
@#$%^ WIPERS

Last year I paid top $$$ for OEM wipers at my Hyundai dealers because the original ones lasted me three years and I'd never had wipers work so well for that long.. Well on the way home today from the airport it's raining and the drivers side wiper is leaving a 4" wide smear in the middle of my windshield! So I figure it's got pine pitch on it.. I mean EVERYTHING has pine pitch on it up here this year! I get home and pull the arm back and the rubber wiper is just hanging off the arm in strips! I check it out and it's some no-name P.O.S. while the passenger side is a Bosch! Now Bosch is top of the line (especially their ICON models) so I have no bitch there, but the main wiper is crap!! I'm pissed. I will never use that dealer for any parts ever again! I remember now that they said they couldn't find me a rear wiper for the car and I had to get an OEM rear wiper from a different dealer.. BUGGERS!! - - Well, they just lost a customer.. Screw-'em...

Roger

PS. Chuck - I ordered two Bosch ICON replacements from Amazon, with two day FREE shipping! (I got a 30 day FREE trial of Amazon Prime for holiday shopping this year!) You proud of me, or what?!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

So I am still working on putting the engine back in the Toro. Lots of stuff to do before the engine goes back in. Replacing wires that need to be and replacing fuel lines and the such. So I went online to find supplies as local stuff cost way too much. Found fuel line 10 ft for $10.00, Then hose clamps for $4.00. Fuel filter for $5.00. Total $19.00. While in the shopping cart it had a section of "People that purchased this also purchased this". I started looking at it and noticed it was mostly bulk purchases. I normally buy the most for the least I can find as long as the quality is up to par. Try not to buy chines knockoff crap. Well the fuel line in 25 ft roll that is designed to run E85 was $18.55, Clamps that are for fuel injectors was $7.99 for 10 pack. the fuel filters where $10.99 for 20 pack. So for $37.53 I got 10 times more than I need at this moment. So for double the money, I got 10 times more. Now that is shopping!!!

Forgot about the 2-day free shipping.

Welcome to the real word.
It is all about warehousing & logistics.
Way way back I found that 1 bolt cost about 1/20th of a full box of 50 to 100. It was the last time I bought 1 bolt.
So I now have a wall of nuts & bolts and never have to race down to the fastener shop for that missing bolt that slipped into that parallel universe where all the car keys & left socks end up.
It cost more to have some one walk into the retail warehouse and count out 12 bolts than it dose to to get the same person to grab a full box.
Same with fuel line, cost the same, to truck , log in & bin 10' rolls as it does for 25' rolls as it dose for 50' rolls, any bigger & they become a fork lift job.
So I buy 100' rolls direct from the factory @ $ 75/ roll. They import it naked & print the sides so it could be from a Tiawanese factory at $ 25 with a MOQ of 100 rolls from China where it goes down to $ 10 / roll.
It retails in the local discount car parts shop for $ 2.50 / foot so I sell at $ 1.50 / foot and it is one of those things that people remember ( cause the have no idea just how expensive transport & logistics are ) so they come to me for fuel lines for their cars.

Now in the age of computer invoicing, a web based retailer can order directly from the factory & get them to deliver it directly to you.
The cost savings are astronomical, however the retail customer only sees about 1/3 to 1/4 of the savings.
Downside of this is no one keeps any inventory an more so obsecure parts are hard to find.

I just bought 5 starter motors for a skid steer because my wholesalers wanted way too much ( 250% mark up ).
Sold 3 of them in less than a week for a bit more than I paid for the 5 including shipping & duty, sold one to the customer for 1/2 the retail and now have a "free" one in stock which I probably will never use .

You will find everything is the same.
A box of 12 oil filters is the same price as 4 oil filters in individual boxes.
A 44 of oil is the same price as five 5 gallon drums and you end up with nice new oiled 44 to store stuff in.
Go over to the Stens web site , sign up as a customer and search "Shop Pack" you will be amazed at the difference in prices.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: @#$%^ WIPERS

Last year I paid top $$$ for OEM wipers at my Hyundai dealers because the original ones lasted me three years and I'd never had wipers work so well for that long.. Well on the way home today from the airport it's raining and the drivers side wiper is leaving a 4" wide smear in the middle of my windshield! So I figure it's got pine pitch on it.. I mean EVERYTHING has pine pitch on it up here this year! I get home and pull the arm back and the rubber wiper is just hanging off the arm in strips! I check it out and it's some no-name P.O.S. while the passenger side is a Bosch! Now Bosch is top of the line (especially their ICON models) so I have no bitch there, but the main wiper is crap!! I'm pissed. I will never use that dealer for any parts ever again! I remember now that they said they couldn't find me a rear wiper for the car and I had to get an OEM rear wiper from a different dealer.. BUGGERS!! - - Well, they just lost a customer.. Screw-'em...

Roger

PS. Chuck - I ordered two Bosch ICON replacements from Amazon, with two day FREE shipping! (I got a 30 day FREE trial of Amazon Prime for holiday shopping this year!) You proud of me, or what?!

MIGHT want to check-out prices on Rock-Auto for automotive parts, I recently purchased a PAIR of Trico-Neo-Form Beam blades for under $15.00 plus shipping I think it was total less than $21.00

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

MIGHT want to check-out prices on Rock-Auto for automotive parts, I recently purchased a PAIR of Trico-Neo-Form Beam blades for under $15.00 plus shipping I think it was total less than $21.00

I bought a pair (well actually 2 different ones as they are different lengths) of Popular Mechanics brand blades for the wife's Edge
from Ollie's in Atlanta for $2.99/ea...............they fit and they wipe away water...now we'll see how long they last...

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

Welcome to the real word.
It is all about warehousing & logistics.
Way way back I found that 1 bolt cost about 1/20th of a full box of 50 to 100. It was the last time I bought 1 bolt.
So I now have a wall of nuts & bolts and never have to race down to the fastener shop for that missing bolt that slipped into that parallel universe where all the car keys & left socks end up.
It cost more to have some one walk into the retail warehouse and count out 12 bolts than it dose to to get the same person to grab a full box.
Same with fuel line, cost the same, to truck , log in & bin 10' rolls as it does for 25' rolls as it dose for 50' rolls, any bigger & they become a fork lift job.
So I buy 100' rolls direct from the factory @ $ 75/ roll. They import it naked & print the sides so it could be from a Tiawanese factory at $ 25 with a MOQ of 100 rolls from China where it goes down to $ 10 / roll.
It retails in the local discount car parts shop for $ 2.50 / foot so I sell at $ 1.50 / foot and it is one of those things that people remember ( cause the have no idea just how expensive transport & logistics are ) so they come to me for fuel lines for their cars.

Now in the age of computer invoicing, a web based retailer can order directly from the factory & get them to deliver it directly to you.
The cost savings are astronomical, however the retail customer only sees about 1/3 to 1/4 of the savings.
Downside of this is no one keeps any inventory an more so obsecure parts are hard to find.

I just bought 5 starter motors for a skid steer because my wholesalers wanted way too much ( 250% mark up ).
Sold 3 of them in less than a week for a bit more than I paid for the 5 including shipping & duty, sold one to the customer for 1/2 the retail and now have a "free" one in stock which I probably will never use .

You will find everything is the same.
A box of 12 oil filters is the same price as 4 oil filters in individual boxes.
A 44 of oil is the same price as five 5 gallon drums and you end up with nice new oiled 44 to store stuff in.
Go over to the Stens web site , sign up as a customer and search "Shop Pack" you will be amazed at the difference in prices.

Yes sir. I agree. I have been buying in bulk for years except for somethings I buy local. Wow what a difference. If I had gone to my auto parts store it would have been over $50.00 for one of each and 10 ft of fuel line.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

I have been an Amazon Prime member since it became available. First year I paid for my membership in the first 30 days for just buying what I normally buy. Proud is the word of the day!!!!