The Daily Yardman Thread

NorthBama

Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

NOBAMA,

Some two-speed motors (like swimming pool pump motors) just use two different windings for the two speeds. These things you're into, are they variable drives, (actually DC motors) or what?

Hey you never told me if you are related to that dude on the Martin Bros. "Iron Resurrection" TV show or not.. His name is "Downtown Bama Brown".. I figure he's gotta be related to you somehow, he's a sneaky old coot.. LOl

Rog

Yes theses X13 motors are variable speed DC motors with magnets glued to the armature. 120 volt ac input with 24 ac for selecting the speed. The guy on this video tells more than i can type.

I figure he's gotta be related to you somehow, he's a sneaky old coot.. LOl

There are many sneaky old coots here in north bama land. Is he barefoot and wearing denim overalls? what network is that showing i need to check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q5mm1Nqx9U

Last edited:

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

Gettin' back to bein' a bit warmish in South Mississippi today.

So, I adjusted the sttring on the Hustler SD, flung 1/2 acre of rye seed,
covered the sloped sections with the last of the hay (YEA !) and did some waterin'.
Time to rest up-tomorrow is my niece's wedding over in Fla.
Cold front and heavy rains due on Sunday.
I hope the seed and new dirt don't wash away.................

Gonna stop by Lowe's on Sunday and buy 4 oe 5 tape measures.
I can never find one when I need it..........

Where's my Yuengling?

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

Good Saturday Morning Folks......4am rise and shine

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Good morning Doc,

Contrary to Boo's complaints, I see nobody is on here this AM but You, Bert-Man and me. I've been dubbing around doing trademark research for a couple wood chisels I found, so I arrived here late. (Who knows what time it is Down Under with Bert? Or what DAY it is for that matter!!)

Hey NOBAMA - The Velocity Channel (on Cable TV) is where you want to look for the TV show "Iron Resurrection". The Martin Brothers and friends (like "Short Dog", and "Pompa") rework old cars, trucks and build the occasional motorcycle. Joe's wife (Amanda) and a guy called "Shack" hunt down old cars to restore and often call on a guy named "Downtown Bama Brown" for parts, etc...

I've been able to learn a lot about metal working by watching that and similar TV shows.

Roger

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

So Doc,

How's things down in NJ this fine day? We had a bit of a cold snap, but it's warmed back up to the upper 40's in the mornings for the last couple of days.

You do any wood working? I've got to find somebody on here that's into old wood working hand tools. I've gotten interested in "edged" tools lately, most recently, chisels. I find the history of some of the old companies that made these tools to be quite interesting. For instance, I recently found a chisel by "Robert Duke". A little research showed that Robert Duke was a large company located in Sidney, Australia during the first half of the 1800's. As there were few if any iron works in Australia at that time, the company had tools made back in 'Merry Old England' which they imported and sold to the local market. The question is, how on earth did one of their chisels find it's way to Maine??? Of course Maine being a maritime state had ships plying all the worlds oceans and maybe a ship-fitter found himself in need of a chisel when his ship pulled into "Duke's Wharf" on Miller's Point in Sidney, he made his way up to the main store and purchased the chisel that I now have! You gotta admit, that's pretty good stuff, even if you don't enjoy history.

I spent yesterday trimming limbs that over hung our driveway. I still have three trees to finish this morning and then lots of limbs to cut-up and load into the trailer to be hauled off. Most of them are hemlock, fir and spruce, although I did remove two maples that were dead or dying and they got cut up for fire wood. I have to stack all that in the wood shed before it rains.. Got some coming next week I guess..

As mother always said, "No rest for the weary."

Roger

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
DC Variable Speed motors

NOBAMA,

Yup, variable speed motors are the cats-arse for flexibility and economy. They can be programmed to ramp up slowly (thereby decreasing the start-up current, which many power companies dock (charge) you for with large motor loads). Or like in your case, programmed to operate at different speeds. Their down side are the electronics that control them, as like all electronics they are susceptible to power surges, lightning strikes and just plain burning up! We always said that electronics are great, as long as you don't let the smoke out of them! Once you have done that, they are 'toast'!!

So, that's the trick... Just don't let the smoke out and they will last as long as any standard motor.

I hope this helps....:wink::wink:

Roger

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

Roger, nice bit of history there with your chisel. I tried my hand a wood working several times over the last 40 years, and even though the projects would be completely......I was never satisfied with the results and often times ended up doing it all over again, I am real good and tearing down an engine and rebuilding it, hell I even tear down whole machines or trucks and put them back together bolt by bolt and in some cases by shear memory.

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

OBSERVATION #21

most of the people commenting on posts in the forum or creating new threads are completely devoid of common sense, which IMHO should only be referred to as "uncommon sense"

I used to love going from thread to thread to help others with their issue, but when you read some of the replys or even the OP's first post your mind just goes "Poof"

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Watching the news last night, a report on the progress of the rebuilding of all the destruction in Texas, Mississippi, Alabama,Florida, and California, from the hurricanes and fires, they said almost ALL the rebuilding is going VERY slow, due to the fact that there are fewer and fewer construction tradesmen, for every 5, retiring ( lots of "Baby-Boomers" ) only 1 person enters into the trades, even with some really high pay-scales there's a deficiency. In Texas a contractor started his own school teaching the trades and he also has a HUGE overstock of building materials knowing there is a related downfall in the supply of the available building materials. (could it be people got used to NOT working, living on welfare ??) he even recruits men and women from other low paying jobs to re-train them !! Some of the tradesmen are now making close to 6 figures because of the demand for skilled labor, and many of the tradesmen go elsewhere to "follow the dollar" leaving many contractors to push back their projected completion dates. seems everybody wants a "white-collar" job and don't want to use their hands or do physical labor, ... who in the hell is going to build ALL those "safe-spaces" and make all those crayons and coloring books, not to mention the Play-Doh and teddy-bears ..?? HMMmmmmmm ??

technology-4against-emoticons-525x375.jpg

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

Spot on Boo:thumbsup: