Mower deck Deck brake doesn't engage properly

Daddyo

Forum Newbie
Threads
iplimage.php.jpgI have an MTD Yard Machines 13AM772F000 with a 38" deck (model 738), 2009 model I think. When I disengage the PTO, the right-hand blade stops but the left continues to free-wheel. Both brake pads are good. The left brake assembly is free to move but there appears to be no mechanism to cause it to engage the pulley. There is no spring on that side as there is on the right. My deck is the one illustrated on page 22 of parts manual 769-04344 (January 28, 2009). I have attached a copy of that page. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Larry

Last edited:

Daddyo

Forum Newbie
Threads
http://www.mtdproducts.com/equipmen...Code=05&modelNumber=13am772f000&serialNumber=

inspect deck belt, idler pulleys, & all hardware for wear, check 3/8" bolt item 10 for wear & sloppy play at deck brake arm

Thank you Mark for your suggestions. There is no slop at the brake arm pivot bolt. Respectfully, the belt and pulleys have no bearing on my situation. When the PTO is disengaged the left brake pad is about an inch away from the pulley. There simply is nothing to pull the left brake arm toward the pulley. I thought at first that maybe the brake control rod (item #32) was supposed to do it when the right-hand brake is engaged by its spring, but now I think its sole function is to release the right brake when the PTO is engaged. It seems like there should be a spring attached to the left brake arm, like on earlier models of this mower and like on the right brake. Just out of curiosity, what does the item #22 spring attach to?

Larry

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

Daddyo

Forum Newbie
Threads
items 3 & 11 in the illustrated parts that i posted will show where to attach spring, right hand column is barely showing," view options", just click on it, then accept & download from bottom left of screen, it shows spring as item 27, also spring 28 attaches to parts 14 & 11 in diagram.

http://www.mtdproducts.com/equipmen...Code=05&modelNumber=13am772f000&serialNumber=

I'm a little confused. The link you gave lists several manuals, including two parts manuals. The one that fits my deck is 769-04344, and there is no spring #28.??

Daddyo

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm a little confused. The link you gave lists several manuals, including two parts manuals. The one that fits my deck is 769-04344, and there is no spring #28.??

No response yet?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Circled in red. Spring part number 732-04287
13AM772F000.jpg

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
View attachment 30146I have an MTD Yard Machines 13AM772F000 with a 38" deck (model 738), 2009 model I think. When I disengage the PTO, the right-hand blade stops but the left continues to free-wheel. Both brake pads are good. The left brake assembly is free to move but there appears to be no mechanism to cause it to engage the pulley. There is no spring on that side as there is on the right. My deck is the one illustrated on page 22 of parts manual 769-04344 (January 28, 2009). I have attached a copy of that page. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Larry

On your diagram #32 is what connects from right side brake to left side brake.

Daddyo

Forum Newbie
Threads
On your diagram #32 is what connects from right side brake to left side brake.

Thank you BlazNT. Yes I realize that, but it does not engage the left brake. All it does is disengage the right brake when the PTO is engaged. It hooks into a slot on the left brake arm that allows the left brake arm to move freely when the PTO is disengaged.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you manually move the right break over further away from the breaking point doesn't move the left brake out of the way? If it does in the PTO engagement needs to be adjusted.