Mower deck Deck brake doesn't engage properly

Daddyo

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you manually move the right break over further away from the breaking point doesn't move the left brake out of the way? If it does in the PTO engagement needs to be adjusted.

While I truly appreciate your attempts to help me, PTO adjustment is not the answer. I don't know what is, but it's not that. When the PTO engages, the big spring at the end of the PTO cable pulls the left blade brake arm to move the brake away from the pulley, which also disengages the right brake by way of item #32 brake control rod. When the PTO is disengaged that big spring is relaxed, allowing the right brake to be pulled toward the pulley by its spring. The problem is that there's nothing to pull the left brake toward its pulley. Again I ask, what does the item #22 spring attach to? I can't identify that spring anywhere on my deck, which leads me to believe that it's missing and that may be what's wrong.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK,

The brakes are joined together by the rod #32
So when 1 moves the other moves
The spring #23 pulls the right pad tight against the rod # 32.
When plate #2 rotates counterclockwise the brake pad( which should be on the back of plate # 2) gets pushed into the left pulley .
the force is supplied by spring # 22 which will either fit on the bottom of bolt # 6 or in one of the holes in plate 2 between bolt # 6 and the pivot bolt # 10 and a hole in the front of the deck.
OR to put it another way, spring # 22 pulls foreward.
In the diagram it looks like it pulls back

When you engage the PTO you pull against spring # 22 which sets the tension of the deck belt.

Daddyo

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK,

The brakes are joined together by the rod #32
So when 1 moves the other moves
The spring #23 pulls the right pad tight against the rod # 32.
When plate #2 rotates counterclockwise the brake pad( which should be on the back of plate # 2) gets pushed into the left pulley .
the force is supplied by spring # 22 which will either fit on the bottom of bolt # 6 or in one of the holes in plate 2 between bolt # 6 and the pivot bolt # 10 and a hole in the front of the deck.
OR to put it another way, spring # 22 pulls foreward.
In the diagram it looks like it pulls back

When you engage the PTO you pull against spring # 22 which sets the tension of the deck belt.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Your explanation fits exactly with what I'm seeing and backs up my thoughts perfectly! Now all I have to do is get a #22 spring and find a place to hook it. YOU ROCK! :thumbsup:

Zap

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Your explanation fits exactly with what I'm seeing and backs up my thoughts perfectly! Now all I have to do is get a #22 spring and find a place to hook it. YOU ROCK! :thumbsup:

Having just put my 38 in deck back together - replacing both spindle assemblies and pulleys, and finding how to put spring #23 back together, (see another post with pictures) We installed the deck and found virtually the same problem which started this thread. i.e. The brake pad did NOT engage the left pulley to stop the blade from spinning when the mower deck was disengaged. - - - See parts manual model series 700, page 26-27. The spring # 22 was installed, having never having been taken off, so one end is attached to plate #2, through a small hole right near the left brake pad which is on #2, and then the other end of this spring is attached to the top hole of plate #4. My spring was so attached as I described above. However - - - the spring was NOT pulling the brake pad all the way back to engage the left spindle pulley. We found that it appeared that plate #2 was binding somewhat. We lubed with WD40 and it helped, but still the spring was not pulling the brake pad all the way in. We then stretched the spring #22 to engage to the 2nd inside top hole on plate #4 which helped, but did not completely cure the problem of the Left brake pad engaging with the Left spindle pulley. We exercised the engage lever a number of times and it started to set the brake shoe into the left spindle pulley. As it is working that way now, I expect that I will have to replace spring #22 which seems to have become weak, as well as in the near future also pull and lube the Pivot bolt #10 on which the plate #2 rotates. ---- Now that I have everyone thoroughly confused, ...These two pictures of the brake spring #22 was copied from an youtube video .Break spring 22 connect to plate 4.jpg2 Break spring 22 connect to plate 4.jpg

Last edited: