older 3.5hp tecum engine with NOOOOOOOOOO spark

hoj

Threads
I am a retired guy who has been fixing small engines for friends and neighbors free of charge for many years I am usually 75% affective on units It's not to often I get stumped but I got 1 now that I need help and advice on THANKS in advance!!!!!

small older tiller engine that has NOOOOOO spark It was stored in a moist area for a few months but before that it ran great!!!! I have replaced points (gapped right), condensor, coil and plug wire, checked wiring, flywheel has no wobble is tight--- the only thing I have not replaced was/is the u shaped metal device that holds the coil (armature???) engine sits on a GILSON tiller -great little item and hate to trash it.

not sure how to check gap between coil and flywheel

have decent compression

TXAGAIN for any help direction etc. BOB

Pumper54

Threads
Any chance you can post more info on the engine: model number or a picture if possible.
Tom

hoj

Threads
Any chance you can post more info on the engine: model number or a picture if possible.
Tom

model 143-584072 sn 82312475 pic on way later this am going deer hunting now or shouldd i say tree sitting ugh!!! toooooo hot here in nc

hoj

Threads
model 143-584072 sn 82312475 pic on way

Pumper54

Threads
Found a site that has manuals for the tillers but it requires the tiller frame number, supposed to be a metal tag riveted to the frame somewhere. Once you locate that check here to see if they the manual you need.

https://sites.google.com/site/rustytiller/home

Good luck and just to rub salt in the wound here is a picture I took out my back window. He is standing about 15 feet away from my house and no we don't feed em.
Buckie 1.jpg
Tom

rfWi

Threads
model 143-584072 sn 82312475 pic on way later this am going deer hunting now or shouldd i say tree sitting ugh!!! toooooo hot here in nc

If that number is 143.584072,I believe that model number is a Craftsman number.You can use a business card to set coil airgap.Make sure there is no rust on flywheel and coil.
Also,could the kill switch be malfunctioning?

hoj

Threads
tx for feedback will try gapping @ .010 later today hoj

RockabillyHog

Forum Newbie
Threads
hoj,

How is your edger running these days? I have the same one. I picked it up several years ago at a used tool shop. I love my edger, but alas, it won't start now. I think the spark maker is dead.