B&Stop intek 24hp running rough/not running

Beardedrooster

Forum Newbie
Threads
Husqvarna Yth24v48 bought 2.5 to 3 years ago (98hrs on mower)

B&S 24hp intek ready start model #44R877-0001-G1

Ok the mower has always ran great. I had just mowed my mother's yard I hauled it home and it wouldn't start to back off the trailer. I ran the battery down trying so I charged it overnight ,next day mower started and ran good enough to mow with so I didn't think anything else about it. Fast forward a week now I can't get the engine to stay running. When it does run it sounds like it's missing. You can watch the governor arm move up and down with the idle(revs up and down) it normally runs 20 to 30 secs and dies. If I can keep it running and get the idle to some what smooth out it will die under load and if I change the throttle position it will die.

just changedfuel filter
Air filter was changed at the start of summer(runs the same with air filter removed)
Runs the same with the coils kill wires removed
Won't fire up with 1 spark plug unplugged it will fire up but die with the other spark plug unplugged
Does it sound like I need to open the carb and clean it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tinkerer200

Threads
When it runs, can you tell if it is running one one cylinder? Because it will not start one one cylinder, I doubt it is running on both. I would remove the valve cover on the cylinder it will not start on and see if push rods etc. are OK.

Walt Conner

Beardedrooster

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the reply . I'll get out there after work tomorrow and see if that is the case

Beardedrooster

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know it's been awhile since I replied I've had a few other things come up. Thanks again for the reply above but,
The mower still isn't running, I pulled the valve covers as directed and it looked visually as every thing was working. I didn't perform any test, visual only. I tried to run the mower again today with each cylinder unpluged, cylinder #1 unpluged the mower only cranks it might fire up but die quickly, cylinder #2 unpluged the engine will run. When I first started the mower it actually stayed running and sounded better than it had but still not right but after about 5min under load, it started running the same as before.

I have recorded how the mower is running at full throttle . Link to the video on YouTube is below

https://youtu.be/FduBEkJTNVU

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Beardedrooster

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the link to the manuals, were you referring me to a certain area that helps determine my issue or just the manuals in general?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unplug both of the coils at the coil and try to start the engine.
Engine fires up and runs well, the diode between the two cylinders is duff.
They go bad quite a lot.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Unplug both of the coils at the coil and try to start the engine.
Engine fires up and runs well, the diode between the two cylinders is duff.
They go bad quite a lot.

Yeah, that's what I though but here is what he said - "Runs the same with the coils kill wires removed"

Walt Conner

Beardedrooster

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thsnks for the replys , I went back to the garage and I unplugged both coils at the same time, it took it a few min. To start but when it did there was no change in how it runs. I had some seafoam in the garage so I decided to run it through the carb, after some smoke(well lots of smoke) it stated to sound more like normal but when I engaged the blades the engine started surging up and down but not anywhere as bad as in the video, but I'm sure if I tried to cut grass it would probably kill the engine. I could hear a faint ticking type sound which seemed to be coming from the #2 head area, I then unplugged both spark plug wires separately and the mower ran almost the same only on cylinder #1, but would only turn over , fire up for a few seconds on cylinder #2, could a issue with cylinder #2 cause my issue, maybe a valve issue

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Gees Walt, and I AM wearing my new glasses.

Do as Walt suggested way back, buy a pair of rocker gaskets & pull the rocker covers off see what is going on inside.
If as he suggests one of the pushrods has dropped off you run the risk of doing more damage to the engine if it is a pushrod & it drops into the engine.