Repairs What can I cover my air intake with if I don't have an air filter?

Smashy

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / What can I cover my air intake with if I don't have an air filter?
Hi all,

I bought a new lawn mower from Home Depot last spring (a Poulan Pro with a Kohler XT675 engine). The air filter and air filter cover were missing, but I did not realize this because I had never owned a lawn mower before and didn't even know they were supposed to have air filters until yesterday when my neighbor pointed out that it was missing. I had been using it all summer without an air filter or air filter cover.

I took the carb off and noticed there was dirt inside. I cleaned it out with a tooth brush and also sprayed it with carb cleaner until it was spotless. Then I put it back on the lawn mower, put the gas back in, did an oil change while I was at it, and fired it up and it seems to run fine.

Anywho, I have just ordered the air filter and cover, but they are coming from china so I expect they won't arrive for at least a month. In the meantime, is there any way I can fashion some kind of temporary cover? Perhaps by duct taping a piece of an old tshirt over the air intake?

I have attached a picture.

Attachments

• lm.jpg
    lm.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 19

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / What can I cover my air intake with if I don't have an air filter?
The air filter itself is a very common filter. I have seen them for sale in the local hardware store, tractor dealer, Wal-Mart, or auto parts store. I will say buy one and tape it on for now till you new parts come.