Repairs John Deere LA135

Thomas G Uber

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently changed 1) steering gear and 2) drive belt on my JD LA135. I am a novice at best and it took me some time to complete this project, i.e. waiting on parts and what not. Drive belt while difficult when on pretty easily and then I started re-assembling the steering gears. Once everything was assembled I went to start the engine and nothing. I checked the battery and knew it was okay because I just replaced it. I get lights, but no ignition. Some how I have the feeling that it has something to do with the break/clutch mechanism. I tried to trace the movement of the parts but cannot find where my problem is. The mower is a 2009 and has about 365 hours on it. I preform regular maintenance on it and for the most post it is sheltered. Does anyone have any suggestions?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
check fuse between ignition switch & solenoid for being blown

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the clutch / brake safety switch.
Chances are you displaced it when changing the belt or the pedal slipped off it.

Power goes to the ignition switch then to the pto switch then the brake switch and some times the neural switch and finally to the trigger of the starter solenoid.
Some times the Neutral switch will be a ground circuit that goes to the ground side of the starter solenoid.

I can not use strong enough words to recommend you buy the service manual for you mower from John Deere.
They are written in a step by step mannar , with no jargon and no need for any mechanical skills to follow them.
Worth 10 times what they ask and will pay for itself the very first time you use it.
When you finally sell the mower, including the service manual adds several hundred dollars to the selling price.

Thomas G Uber

Forum Newbie
Threads
Right you are. The brake/clutch safety switch was out of alignment with the brake lever. I had to re-align and that fixed my problem. Can't tell you how much I appreciate your advice and yes I order a service manual today. I have met a lot of Australians in my travels and they are a bunch of great people and I place you in that category. Hope to visit your country one day, hopefully soon. Thanks again.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Right you are. The brake/clutch safety switch was out of alignment with the brake lever. I had to re-align and that fixed my problem. Can't tell you how much I appreciate your advice and yes I order a service manual today. I have met a lot of Australians in my travels and they are a bunch of great people and I place you in that category. Hope to visit your country one day, hopefully soon. Thanks again.

Was on the to do list.
Plan was to travel the world, one country at a time via BSA international rally.
Unfortunately went to the wall during the GFC so that plan is long gone.
But if I do I will look you up & so we can have a few beers.