Spam

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
We have been trying different methods, varying degrees of success/failure.

I am NOT Hi-TECH savvy in the least, but I'm sure if we could get their servers, routers, or puters IP addresses there should be a way to recognize them and block them, I'm only guessing but maybe a security program such as companies use might be the answer, if the cost was minimal to us users, I'd be more than willing to be assessed a membership fee, we will most likely lose some membership but that is what the world has come to. I don't expect that this site can "foot" the bills for all it does now ?? I am grateful for what we have, EVEN having to put up with the B/S from these @#&%$#*&% idiots that are bothersome but NOT totally UN bearable as of yet ! You folks do a helluva job keeping them removed , again, my appreciation and admiration . ...Boobala ..:thumbsup: ..:thumbsup: ..:thumbsup:

MowerMike

Threads
IP addresses can easily be spoofed (faked), so each time you ban a spammer and its IP address, it simply registers as a different user name and IP. Same problem banning domain names from email spam. The only effective way to stop new spammer registrations is to put a waiting period in place before they can post or send PMs.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IP addresses can easily be spoofed (faked), so each time you ban a spammer and its IP address, it simply registers as a different user name and IP. Same problem banning domain names from email spam. The only effective way to stop new spammer registrations is to put a waiting period in place before they can post or send PMs.

And then there are the zombie computers owned by all the moron bastards that are on 24 /7 and not running any sort of virus / trojan protection.
They will tell you all the virus stuff is bull dust because they have been on line for 20 years and never had a problem, which it true because the person who is using them as a zombie to distribute their mal wear / spam has been protecting their computer for the last 20 years
They have not had a problem, they are a big part of the problem.
Spam has random text in it , not because the spammers are foreign and do not understand English, they have random text so anti spam programs that read the text do not filter them out.
If you look at the products they are trying to flog, most are American and that is where the spam is coming from.
o oe in Russia is interested in getting you to buy snake oil from Kanssas.

MowerMike

Threads
They're even spamming this subforum now !

One spammer lists its mower as Ford.

MowerMike

Threads
Yikes ! Now there's three spammer threads on this subforum, including one posted nearly twelve hours ago.

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
yup its sad, there is more spam on here, than all of Hawaii

MowerMike

Threads
Just received a PM from a spammer, which I reported. On my other forum that I moderated, new members need 50 posts before they can send a PM. I recommend implementing the same protocol here. This spammer appears to be Vietnamese.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just received a PM from a spammer, which I reported. On my other forum that I moderated, new members need 50 posts before they can send a PM. I recommend implementing the same protocol here. This spammer appears to be Vietnamese.

Gees and I thought I was the only one.
They were Burmese.

Way back we suggested a form type of initial post to any sub forum where you answered several questions
Like brand of mower..................
Model...................
Brand of engine........................
Engine Number ....................
Dose the mower start ..................
Does the mower run.................
What part of the mower are you having problems with ....................

And based on those answers the soft wear did a search and brought up say a dozen relevant previous posts followed by the question
Has this answered your question or would you like post ?
The soft wear the creates the initial post with an input window down the bottom, for the poster to add their text.
You can then go one step further and scan the text the poster has added for key word like enhancement, testosterone, hormone, sex etc etc etc.
If the text contains any flagged words it goes strait into a potential spam directory and the poster get a message "we think this is spam it will not be posted till checked by a moderator- you will not be able to make further posts for 24 hours"
The initial post had all attachments dissabled so the spammer can not add a URL / video / photo / file till there is a reply. that was not them.

This makes life easier for the people who respond because most of the info required would be in the first post.
It makes it better for the poster because from the get go they will be getting the information they require and in most cases of "my mower won't start" they will see the same 1/2 dozen responses so can go right down to their shop and have a fiddle.

Spammers will be required to post, have that post responded to before they can add their spam in which case most won't bother.
Spammers who add spam to every sub forum only get to post one