Grasshopper 721D stalls on right incline

Andy Bohanan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello GH users, I have a Grasshopper 721D mower that runs great until it gets on a right incline (right higher than left) & then it sputters & stalls, then takes quite a while to get restarted. I've actually had to move the tractor away from this position to get it restarted a few times.
This only happens on a right incline & it doesn't have to be steep.
PLEASE HELP!:eek:
Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks!
Andy

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Could be either the fuel pickup is tipped above the top of the fuel...
OR you have a low oil pressure switch cutting fuel when the oil pressure drops because the engine oil pick up is tipped above the top of the oil...
if you have an actual oil pressure gauge watch it to see if it's dropping just before shut down...
If it is the fuel pick up tube, it may be cracked and not near the bottom of the tank... It should not be at the bottom. Another possibility if the fuel dip tube is ok, there could be water in the bottom of your tank and when you tilt just right, it is pulling water up instead of fuel... if you have a drain plug at the bottom of your tank you should ck at least once a year for water. Park so the drain is the lowest spot, remove the plug & catch about a cup or more to check for water.... :smile:KennyV

Andy Bohanan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Could be either the fuel pickup is tipped above the top of the fuel...
OR you have a low oil pressure switch cutting fuel when the oil pressure drops because the engine oil pick up is tipped above the top of the oil...
if you have an actual oil pressure gauge watch it to see if it's dropping just before shut down...
If it is the fuel pick up tube, it may be cracked and not near the bottom of the tank... It should not be at the bottom. Another possibility if the fuel dip tube is ok, there could be water in the bottom of your tank and when you tilt just right, it is pulling water up instead of fuel... if you have a drain plug at the bottom of your tank you should ck at least once a year for water. Park so the drain is the lowest spot, remove the plug & catch about a cup or more to check for water.... :smile:KennyV

Hi Kenny, Great ideas! I emptied & cleaned the gas tank, replaced the fuel lines & filters last fall, but it was parked outside all winter under a tarp. I did put additive in the fuel though to keep it fresh. I guess it could have water in it. I will check everything you mentioned when I get home & post what I find. Thanks so much for your time & expertise:thumbsup:...Andy