Mtd carb issues

Rockey g

Forum Newbie
Threads
HI guys new guy with a question. I got a 12 hp Mtd yard machine. I recently had to buy a motor for it and the carb on it don't have adjustable jets. The motor keeps flooding even if you tap the float bowl. I cleaned the carb and no change. Any ideas?

Pumper54

Threads
If by "flooding" you mean gas continues to flow into the engine through the carb the float valve is not closing. Pull the carb and check the float setting and also that the float plug is setting properly. You might want to post make and model number of engine and pictures of the carb/engine for identification purposes as there are many many engine/carb combos out there.

Tom

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

Before we start, we need to know a few things.
Model number of your mower
Model number of the old engine
Model number of the new engine
Make of carb fitted to new engine
Was the new engine new or used

What exactly do you mean by flooding
What exactly did you do when you cleaned the carb
Did your old mower have a fuel pump
does the new engine have a fuel pump.

Hooking a gravity fed carb to a fuel pump can provide a higher fuel supply pressure than the float can cut off.
I fell into that trap early on when repowering a ride on with an engine from a walk behind.
Took me nearly a year to work that one out but I got real good at disassembling carbs.

Pumper54

Threads
Bert
"Took me nearly a year to work that one out but I got real good at disassembling carbs." You teach the neighborhood kids any new words during that time? LOL Been there done that working on old motorcycles
Tom