Anyone recognise this gasket?

JSchneid

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a 1995 Snapper Lawn Tractor with a 14 HP Briggs & Stratton engine. The previous owner swapped the original carburetor for a newer B&S NIKKI carburetor. In looking at rebuild kits I found that the kits contain a gasket that my carburetor does not have. Does anyone recognise this gasket, if so I need to know where it goes on the carburetor?
Gasket.png

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
That gasket is used with a blocking plate that some engines have to reduce the HP rating. It reduces the amount of incoming air/fuel mixture without changing the air to fuel mixture ratio. Reducing the volume of incoming air/fuel reduces the power output of the engine and therefore the HP rating.
The manufacturer can use one carb for several different HP models.

JSchneid

Forum Newbie
Threads
That gasket is used with a blocking plate that some engines have to reduce the HP rating. It reduces the amount of incoming air/fuel mixture without changing the air to fuel mixture ratio. Reducing the volume of incoming air/fuel reduces the power output of the engine and therefore the HP rating.
The manufacturer can use one carb for several different HP models.

This blocking plate, does it go between the carb and the engine or between the carb and breather? My 14hp B&S engine is 21-year-old model 287707 type 022801 code 94121348. The carb is not the original. The previous owner installed a B&S Nikki 792357. How can I find out if this Nikki carb requires that blocking plate with my engine?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Those gaskets come in a lot of B&S carb kits. The plate goes between the carb and the engine or intake manifold.
On the B&S website, you can enter your engine numbers and bring up the parts manual for your engine. The original carb may have been discontinued and replaced by the carb that is installed and also if the plate was originally used on your model and spec number.
I have a 30 HP B&S twin on one of my machines and although the engine was new in 2013, I have had to do some carb work on it. The carb kit had the plate gaskets in it along with the full opening gaskets.
You will have to do some online research to get the info that you are looking for.
Bear in mind the B&S changes part numbers and supersedes numbers all the time.

Last edited:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
NASCAR rules for fast lawnmowers.....

Psychlopath

Threads
I didn't see it mentioned before but, in many cases, you will have gaskets, plugs and various other odds and ends that are not used during a rebuild; the kit you bought can most likely be used for a variety of carbs so that gasket may just be garbage.

JSchneid

Forum Newbie
Threads
I thought maybe this gasket was used between the breather and carburetor because of its shape. The Snapper I bought did not want to run properly when the throttle was advanced very far from idle. The engine would surge with the governer applying the throttle. In playing around with it I found that it would run properly if the choke were held partily closed. I made a gasket resembling this one and put it at the intake of the carburetor, now the engine runs without problem.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jmschneid/28718992366

I don't think it is a restrictor plate because of the shape; restrictors have round openings. Basically, I am looking for the proper use of a gasket shaped like the one in question.

Psychlopath

Threads
...it would run properly if the choke were held partily closed...

This may be a bit off topic, but it sounds like this engine was running somewhat on the lean side of the mixture and may need a bit of adjustment.

JSchneid

Forum Newbie
Threads
This may be a bit off topic, but it sounds like this engine was running somewhat on the lean side of the mixture and may need a bit of adjustment.

I agree with the running lean. The Nikki carburetor only has one mixture adjusting screw and it is for idle. I have had the carburetor apart several times looking for a blocked passage. My problem may still be dirt in the carburetor. Since the mower runs with my homemade gasket I have quit looking for a fix. I should be able to find the correct application for the gasket I saw on the Internet. The gasket I saw even has a number, 276897. B&S part number or Nikki part number?