Mower starts then dies

MowerMcMowface

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all.

I have an old mower that I have been keeping alive for a few years. I bought it new in 2005 and have been working hard to keeps it running for the last few years. And as such, with the amount of effort I have put in to keeping her alive, I am not yet ready to give up...yet.

Here is today's situation.
Ryobi mower with Frankenstiens monster engine. (I think it was a briggs, but I cant remember)

Mower has gas, new spark plug (good spark). Endless amounts of pulls on the rope do nothing but make me sweat. As I said before, I checked for and found good spark. I thought maybe it was bad gas, so I replaced it with a fresh batch. Pull, pull, pull...nothing.

So, I decided to spray some carb cleaner into the carb as a quick fix to see if that would do it. Pull...mower starts, then immediately dies. So I think, "maybe its not getting fuel". So, I remove the carb and give it a good cleaning. I checked the bowl and float for freedom of movement and everything seems to operate as it should. None of the ports seem clogged.

So I try again. This time using gas in place of carb cleaner. I put the gas in a spray bottle and give it a couple squirts, and the mower starts...then dies.

I think maybe its the air filter, so remove it completely. No dice.

So it will run when I put gas in it manually, but not on its own....unless I press the primer button about 30 times, then it starts, runs for about 10 seconds, and dies.

Please help me keep my monster alive!

Thanks in advance for the tips.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
also adjust valves with engine cold to specs., post all engine numbers, if B&S engine model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx & code number.

Tater50

Threads
If you have a fuel shutoff solenoid; remove & clean; they gum up. As mentioned above: clean carb; probably main jet clogged. Had this happen several times on Kohler & B&S while using ethanol gas. Mine would start on choke, then immediately shutoff. Took it apart and let it boil in hot soapy water in a small crock pot; blew dry all orifices; back together and worked fine. I have a TBilt that has been sitting for awhile; about to do the same thing with it. In the past, this Kohler Courage 25hp has had a problem with the fuel shutoff solenoid gumming up w/the ethanol type gas. I guess I do not learn about ethanol gas; so that is my first step before disassembling carb.

Good luck