14.5 Briggs/Stratton Intek-Ran Great but won't restart after killing it

truthseeker7771

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 14.5 Briggs/Stratton Intek-Ran Great but won't restart after killing it
I have a 14.5 Briggs/Stratton Intek. I cut yard and it ran fine but after I killed it, it would turn over and spin but wouldn't restart. I could quickly smell gas when I tried to crank it (like it was flooding) so I tapped on the solenoid and afterward, it started right up. I'm guessing there's something sticking inside the solenoid, but I didn't want to disconnect it (located at the bottom of the carb bowl) before I knew what this entailed, nor did I want to screw anything up with the carb. Can I just unscrew it and clean it out? How do I remove the solenoid, what should I use to clean it, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks for any advice.

Dave

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have a 14.5 Briggs/Stratton Intek. I cut yard and it ran fine but after I killed it, it would turn over and spin but wouldn't restart. I could quickly smell gas when I tried to crank it (like it was flooding) so I tapped on the solenoid and afterward, it started right up. I'm guessing there's something sticking inside the solenoid, but I didn't want to disconnect it (located at the bottom of the carb bowl) before I knew what this entailed, nor did I want to screw anything up with the carb. Can I just unscrew it and clean it out? How do I remove the solenoid, what should I use to clean it, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks for any advice.

Dave
:welcome:

Yes you simply unscrew them as they replace the bowl bolt and can be replaced by a bowl bolt in a pinch although that is illegal.
You will need a very thin spanner to get onto the flats.
From memory it is 1/2".
my Stahlwille fitted fine but every other spanner will need to be ground down to fit.
Do not try to undo it by turning the solenoid body as they can spin then leak & they are expensive little buggers to replace.

The 2 most used items in my tool box is the in line spark tester & the can of starter fluid.
Check for a spark.
If none then check all of the safty switches for one that is faulty.

truthseeker7771

Forum Newbie
Threads
:welcome:

Yes you simply unscrew them as they replace the bowl bolt and can be replaced by a bowl bolt in a pinch although that is illegal.
You will need a very thin spanner to get onto the flats.
From memory it is 1/2".
my Stahlwille fitted fine but every other spanner will need to be ground down to fit.
Do not try to undo it by turning the solenoid body as they can spin then leak & they are expensive little buggers to replace.

The 2 most used items in my tool box is the in line spark tester & the can of starter fluid.
Check for a spark.
If none then check all of the safty switches for one that is faulty.

@bertsmobile1................Thanks a million. Your advice/help is golden. That tip about not turning the solenoid body to undo it is just the kind of thing that prevented me from doing something I'd have likely done. Thanks again.