Kohler engine replacement On John Deere 620 and 687

wilsontl

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have two John Deere mowers a F620 60" 7 iron deck with Kohler 20 hp CH20S-64556, I have a John Deere 23 hp F687 with a Kohler CH23 or 680- both the same mowers orginal engines. I need new engines looking a the CH680-3081 which is a Kohler engine made for John deere.
Question: Does anyone know what equipment the CH680-3081 is made for, or is a basic engine for john deere which may need modification?

The recommended engine made for these models are at least 600.00 more in price over the recommended engine.

I have the front pto shafts for both engines that bolt into the front flywheel, and I do not use the rear pto.

does anyone have experience using alternate Kohler engine on John deere Z trac and what can I expect if I use the cheaper Kohlerler CH680-3081 or another model , does anyone have any recommendation or advice,it would greatly appreciated

thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Double check your spec number 64556 because it comes back as being on a Toro not a JD.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No need to stick to JD specific engines.
Don't know about Kohler but the JD branded Briggs were built to horizontal crank specs thus a much more robust engine.

Any Kohler of the same type will go in the hole.
Just be careful with the PTO shaft size as at that Hp some will be 1" and others ( commercial ) will be 1.125"
New engine of the same HP will be listed as 10% to 20% lower due to different measuring criteria.
A bigger engine will not hurt but it will not go 1" / hour faster as they all spin at the same speeds.
Crankcases are universal so at the worst you might have to swap out you old controls to the new motor.
Worthwhile to make sure the new engine has an electrical output at least as high as the old ones.
Only other thing to worry about is the fuel pump don't know if your old one was electric or impulse .
It won't matter just so long as the replacement is shipped with a pump.
New engines are drop in and come with starters, carbs & alternators.
I swap out engine all the time do about 20 or so a year ( 2 pallet loads ) and the only real problem is finding / modifing a muffler to fit.
But at $ 400 off USA retail and $ 2000- $ 3000 off Australian retail, a $ 100 muffler is no problems.

Try some of the surplus engine vendors as you can get some engines near 1/2 price.
Small engine Surplus
Small engine suplies
Small engine Warehouse
Repower
Engines for less
Surplus center

I have bought engines from all of them.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have two John Deere mowers a F620 60" 7 iron deck with Kohler 20 hp CH20S-64556, I have a John Deere 23 hp F687 with a Kohler CH23 or 680- both the same mowers orginal engines. I need new engines looking a the CH680-3081 which is a Kohler engine made for John deere.
Question: Does anyone know what equipment the CH680-3081 is made for, or is a basic engine for john deere which may need modification?

The recommended engine made for these models are at least 600.00 more in price over the recommended engine.

I have the front pto shafts for both engines that bolt into the front flywheel, and I do not use the rear pto.

does anyone have experience using alternate Kohler engine on John deere Z trac and what can I expect if I use the cheaper Kohlerler CH680-3081 or another model , does anyone have any recommendation or advice,it would greatly appreciated

thanks

Find your model on the list in the link

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/Repower-Old-Equipment/Repower-John-Deere/