Briggs Vanguard issue it will not throttle, with video

Rule Britannia

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Briggs Vanguard issue it will not throttle, with video
Hello,
I would like to setup a manual/twist style throttle for a V Twin Vanguard 20hp model number: 358777 0114-e1 I have attached a cable to the bell crank just for testing purposes, this bell crank is "attached" to the governor via a spring, the governor is then attached to the carb by a linkage. When the engine starts the governor pulls down into the idle position, the problem is that when i pull on the cable the governor arm does not move at all and i get no throttle at all, if i pull on this cable any harder i get WOT and nothing inbetween. If i push directly on the governor arm i can get the engine to throttle, i have a video of my problem:

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Twistgrips go on slide carburettors usually and work against a return spring.
On your engine there is nothing to close the throttle and bowden cable does not push particularly well.
Unless you have done substantial work on the engine abandoning the govenor is a recipie for a blown up engine.
4,500 rpm and it is good night Irine.

You might like to start by telling us what exactly you are trying to power with this engine and why it needs a twist grip.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hook the cable right to the governor. I do this but with a foot pedal.
I do recommend getting a Briggs rev kit if your going to be wot a lot.

Rule Britannia

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would like to use this engine in a custom vehicle and for that i need to be able to use the whole rev range, not preset speeds i do not want to bypass the governor but i know that this can be done. i just dont know what is wrong that is stopping it from functioning correctly. how would this be setup in a lawn tractor then? because i cannot seem to get any throttle at all unless i push on the governor?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is the spring to loose?

Rule Britannia

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is the spring to loose?

Which spring are you referring to? the one that goes from the bell crank to the governor? if so, no that is not loose at all but im not sure if it is the correct strength.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Which spring are you referring to? the one that goes from the bell crank to the governor? if so, no that is not loose at all but im not sure if it is the correct strength.

Yes that spring.
Most governor rods have more then one hole for the spring. Try other holes.

Rule Britannia

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes that spring.
Most governor rods have more then one hole for the spring. Try other holes.

I have checked and there are no other holes, the governer arm does not want to move without quite a bit of force and the spring does not seem to overcome that, at the point it does i only get WOT.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would unhook the governor from the carb and move each piece looking for something binding.

Rule Britannia

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would unhook the governor from the carb and move each piece looking for something binding.

Yes, thats the problem, there appears to be nothing binding, when the engine is not running everything is free moving, including the governor arm, but when it starts running the governor pulls down into idle, the bell crank and spring does not seem to be able to overcome that like i believe it should be able to?