Attachments Homemade Umbrella Holder for my Husqvarna YTA22V46

GKL

Threads
Homemade Umbrella Holder for my Husqvarna YTA22V46

(see photos further below, click on each one to enlarge)

Originally I was going to buy a canopy compatible with the YTA22V46 for about $100 until I read too many reviews saying it was so flimsy many did not make it past one season. That is when I put on my "thinking cap" and came up with an idea to make a sturdy homemade umbrella holder out of PVC pipe.

The neat thing is that the umbrella just easily pulls out of the holder to use for other purposes if needed when not in use over the mower seat.

The umbrella cost me about $28, but is a quality UV resistant umbrella with a large coverage of about 68 inches, and while it is not "air conditioning", it does make a difference to not have the hot sun beating down directly on your head, as well as the protection from UV.

The top section of the large PVC pipe where the umbrella handle fits in is removable so I can drive the tractor in and out of the storage shed without hitting the top of the door opening. I put a screw thru near the top of the pipe under that one for the bottom of the umbrella handle to rest upon so it sits at the right height.

The PVC pieces fit together so tightly I do not have to use any glue at all with the exception of the top corner pieces of the smaller PVC used for bracing as they were the only spots that came loose while riding, the rest of the PVC connections were tight enough to stay together without glue. (which is good as some parts needed to stay unglued, such as the end cap right on top of the hitch and the extension pipe the umbrella goes in).

I added a homemade hitch extension so I don't have to undo the bolt holding the bottom of the umbrella holder when I want to hook up my utility cart.
I used two steel mending plates back to back for extra strength and had to slightly enlarge the holes with a round file so the bolt and hitch pin would fit.

I thought I might have needed to use bungee cords for added support, but it is fairly stable and doesn't move much. I use an end cap on the top when not in use to keep any dirt or bugs out of the pipe when the umbrella is not in it.

Also, it does not interfere with being able to lift the seat up.

I can always paint it later to make it look better if I decide to. (maybe Husqvarna orange if I can find a paint close to that color :cool:)

Any questions, just ask and I'll be glad to be of help !

tu1.jpgtu9.jpgtu8.jpgtu7.jpgtu6.jpgtu5.jpgtu4.jpgtu3.jpgtu2.jpgtu10.jpg

Pumper54

Threads
Looking good.
Tom

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would get some Krylon plastic paint and paint it some color even if its white. It will keep people guessing if it is a factory option.

GKL

Threads
Looking good.
Tom

Thanks !

I would get some Krylon plastic paint and paint it some color even if its white. It will keep people guessing if it is a factory option.

Good idea ! :smile:

I'll likely see about how close I can match the Husqvarna orange color, because white would show dirt more easily, and the orange would make it look more like it came with the mower.

I could imagine people trying to find an umbrella holder attachment online thinking it was a company made option :smile:

GKL

Threads
Thanks !

Good idea ! :smile:

I'll likely see about how close I can match the Husqvarna orange color, because white would show dirt more easily, and the orange would make it look more like it came with the mower.

I could imagine people trying to find an umbrella holder attachment online thinking it was a company made option :smile:

Okay, I painted the umbrella holder, it is not an exact match, but close enough that it looks good.

It actually seems to look like somewhat closer of a match in person than how the photo makes it look. (or maybe it just seems that way :smile:)

(I could always see about giving it a second coat if I got a closer matching paint, but it's not a big deal if I don't, it looks okay as it is, it's not like I'm riding it in a parade or trying o win a best looking tractor prize :smile:)

I'll see about taking another picture next time I take the tractor out of the shed, it might take a better picture with the tractor in full daylight.

tupainted.jpg

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is awesome.

GKL

Threads
That is awesome.

Thanks, it's like they say "necessity is the mother of invention" and a lot of triple digit heat combined with the flimsy version of a canopy that was available, made it a "necessity" to invent a homemade sturdy way to keep in the shade :cool: