Cub Cadet LT1045 Starting Problem

dandnewhampshire

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Cub Cadet LT1045, believe it is 2008, will not turn over, will not crank, will not start. I get no sound or clicking from the starter when I turn the key. Although it was hard to start, it was running fine, then started having a power loss, now will not crank. Only other symptom was a backfire when I turned the motor off when it was running ok. I have replaced the spark plug, the spark plug wire, and the condenser. Based on the advice you gave in other threads I've read, I put a multimeter on the battery and it read 12.7V. I then put the multimeter on the positive battery terminal and the bottom of the starter where the battery cable comes in, again got good voltage. Then I did the same thing at the top of the starter where the impeller engages with the flywheel, again good voltage. (I believe the starter solenoid is built into the starter on this machine.)

Two questions. 1. Should I conclude that I need a new starter as it appears the power is getting to and though the starter ok but it is obviously not turning? 2. Is the backfire a symptom of the fuel solenoid and could it be related ? I'm thinking that maybe I actually have 2 problems unrelated to each other.

Thanks for your help and advice!

Dan

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a Cub Cadet LT1045, believe it is 2008, will not turn over, will not crank, will not start. I get no sound or clicking from the starter when I turn the key. Although it was hard to start, it was running fine, then started having a power loss, now will not crank. Only other symptom was a backfire when I turned the motor off when it was running ok. I have replaced the spark plug, the spark plug wire, and the condenser. Based on the advice you gave in other threads I've read, I put a multimeter on the battery and it read 12.7V. I then put the multimeter on the positive battery terminal and the bottom of the starter where the battery cable comes in, again got good voltage. Then I did the same thing at the top of the starter where the impeller engages with the flywheel, again good voltage. (I believe the starter solenoid is built into the starter on this machine.)

Two questions. 1. Should I conclude that I need a new starter as it appears the power is getting to and though the starter ok but it is obviously not turning? 2. Is the backfire a symptom of the fuel solenoid and could it be related ? I'm thinking that maybe I actually have 2 problems unrelated to each other.

Thanks for your help and advice!

Dan

Just a couple of suggestions but You may want to check the safety switches, my lt1045 did the same thing and that is what they replaced. The other thing I ended up replacing was the ignition switch, it can also kill everything.

dandnewhampshire

Forum Newbie
Threads
The answer to your first question is no, your second question possibly. First check oil level on dipstick, is it high & smell like gas or is it ok?

http://service.mtdproducts.com/Training_Education/769-02100/1000_1500_series_shop_manual.htm

see page 73 in manual http://service.mtdproducts.com/Training_Education/769-02100/769-02100.pdf

The oil level appears to be ok and does not smell like gas as far as I can tell. I plan on doing an oil change anyway so will be able to get a better read on it. (What would this be a symptom of and what would it point to if there was gas in the oil?) I have been assuming that the starting problem was electrical somehow.

dandnewhampshire

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just a couple of suggestions but You may want to check the safety switches, my lt1045 did the same thing and that is what they replaced. The other thing I ended up replacing was the ignition switch, it can also kill everything.

Thank you. I will check into that.

dandnewhampshire

Forum Newbie
Threads
Also meant to include that the fuse is good and the lights come on when turning the key.

Mike_Goad

Threads
if you can turn the key to the start position and have power at the starter, all of your safety switches are working. if the engine does not spin, it is one of two things; the starter is bad or jammed or the engine is seized. the easiest way to eliminate the engine is to turn it over by hand. remove the spark plug and spin it over either by the pulley or by the flywheel. just watch your fingers so they do not get pinched. Someone already mentioned it could be that the crankcase is filled with gas which would cause a hydro-lock. check the oil level.