Reason for very noisy ZT2800's ?

robert

Threads
Here is something for the smart people here; I bought a new Exmark Quest, last years model because it had the ZT2800 drives as compared to this years ZT2100?-no external filters and positively sintered gears (still waiting to hear if the 2800 have steel) plus a fab deck compared to a stamped deck fo this year. I was willing to give up the Kawasaki-at the time-for the drives and deck and risk the Briggs Intek ELS.

The mower, dealer and Exmark themselves have been hugely disappointing-at 2.9 hours the starter solinoid failed, the drives scream intermittently, the cut is horrible, the engine smokes on start up and the dealer made no effort at all to get it back to me quickly, and it seems that Exmark does not want to know anything about anything....

But on to my topic, yesterday while trying to figure out why the starter won't engage (it made it another 3/4 of an hour, I took off the cap to the hydro overflow and noticed about 4 very dark spots, dime sized, in the bottom of the container, suspecting water I went and put some water detecting paste on a stick and low and behold the spots are indeed moisture.

The frustrating part of this is that the dealer was supposed to have sold me a crated model because I do not knowingly buy power equipment which has been stored outside, uncovered for this very reason. Since it was brought home it has not seen a drop of rain water nor has it been washed or even rinsed off....

So I ask if I have a significant amount of water in the small tank is it likely that I have more in the system/drives and if this may be the cause or a contributing factor for the screaming?

Black Bart

Threads
Sounds like you just found your problem oil lubs better than water. :biggrin:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well robert... around here it can get rather humid... don't know about your location 'wrong place,wrong time', but over time you can condense a bit of moisture in the system... Hydros will get hot but usually run under 200 degrees.. If you can drain or pump it out and replace the oil... :smile:KennyV

robert

Threads
Kenny, I cannot see the amount of moisture visible in the small overflow tank as being condensation but I am not the smartest person in the world-to condense inside the system would require a significant DT with operating and storage temps-my money is on contamination from being left outside or, I suppose, hydro lube contamination at installation-but that would be unlikely.

But again, if I knew of what I speak I wouldn't be broke....

Exmark1

Threads
If you continue to have problems please contact Exmark Customer Serivce at 402-223-6300 so they can help you trouble shoot and find a solution.

robert

Threads
Exmark1, now that is funny-I have been told that Exmark does not want to know anything about anything, still waiting to hear if the dealer will help me out and I haven't heard from them EITHER.

As I have posted, buying an Exmark was a very bad decision.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you continue to have problems please contact Exmark Customer Serivce at 402-223-6300 so they can help you trouble shoot and find a solution.

Welcome to LawnMowerForum....
Are you with Exmark?
If you are ... I am glad to see that you follow the posts on mowers...
In any case, I see you have Exmark as your mower... you can definitely comment on the make... :smile:KennyV

Giles

Threads
Years ago, I had a similar but more serious problem with a new Gilson Lawn Tractor. The selling dealer would pick up the machine at his convenience and would keep it for two to three weeks. They would return the mower with the same PROBLEMS:mad:
He even replaced the carburetor with a USED one:mad:
I demanded a new mower or my money back and they refused.
I don't know how it is handled today, but at the time the BBB required that I fill out a complaint form that they mailed to me.
I filled out the form, sent it to them, and within a couple of weeks, the dealer called and asked what I wanted.
I got a FULL refund and bought a Wheelhorse, 30 years ago, and used it today.:thumbsup:
I don't know how BBB works today, but they got my money back many years ago:thumbsup::thumbsup:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Don't count on the BBB to have much clout today... There are too many problems with their complaint resolution system... :smile:KennyV

robert

Threads
While doing some yard work last summer two guys came into the yard and started giving me a sales pitch on spray on attic insulation, not wanting to be rude I listened for a while until they came to the 30%fuel savings. I asked what the 'guarantee' specifically stated and of course they did not have a copy of it to show me.

That afternoon I logged on to our local BBB site and found that this comany had more than a few complaints against them, the typical stuff BUT also a few on failure to honor warranty and two referencing 'collection' and billing complaints-apparently this firm did their own financing.

The rating for this scum bag firm was the highest available.

That week I heard a news report on the allegations that the BBB SELLS ratings, imagine that.