1996 Honda Harmony HRM215

javjacob

Threads
Last year I replaced the carb, spark plug and air filter because it was lacking power. It was so low on power it would stall the motor when I engaged the blades. The new carb fixed the issues and it runs a lot better.

With that said I am still thinking it is lacking power though because it doesn't handle thick or tall grass very well at all. I mow every week BTW. It seems almost like it isn't turning high enough RPMs at full throttle but maybe not. I have no idea how many hours are on it but being its 20 years old it could be a lot.

Is there anyway I can get more power? Its not a huge deal as I now just use it for trimming around the house and mowing the ditches but I don't remember it being this weak on power when it was new. Could dull blades cause this? The blades don't seem to be bad though. I cant imagine the motor is in need of a rebuild but maybe I am wrong?

rePhil

Threads
The best answer will come from Robert. However I just went through a similar sounding problem with my HRA. I don't have a tach, just basing low rpm's by sound and low power. I adjusted the governor and it sounds stronger and it sounds like the revs are up. The next mow will be the test.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Last year I replaced the carb, spark plug and air filter because it was lacking power. It was so low on power it would stall the motor when I engaged the blades. The new carb fixed the issues and it runs a lot better.

With that said I am still thinking it is lacking power though because it doesn't handle thick or tall grass very well at all. I mow every week BTW. It seems almost like it isn't turning high enough RPMs at full throttle but maybe not. I have no idea how many hours are on it but being its 20 years old it could be a lot.

Is there anyway I can get more power? Its not a huge deal as I now just use it for trimming around the house and mowing the ditches but I don't remember it being this weak on power when it was new. Could dull blades cause this? The blades don't seem to be bad though. I cant imagine the motor is in need of a rebuild but maybe I am wrong?

The best finish of a lawn and highest cut quality is done with sharp blades spinning very fast. With all the new parts you've fitted, I'd start by checking the engine speed with a small engine tach. A compression check, leak-down test will give you a good idea of the overall health of the engine. Even just a few hundred RPM can make a big difference in performance. Your 20 year old engine may still have plenty of life left, provided you are not having any oil consumption or other issues. The HRM215's engine should spin at 3150~3,300 rpm with the blades engaged.

27494545803_5d164574af_o.png

javjacob

Threads
Thank you robert@honda for the help, this isn't the first time you have helped me. You make owning a Honda even easier than it already is. I backed off the bottom screw and that brought the revs up where they should be. I mowed some thick grass (that would have stalled it before) and it chugged right through it like it should. My 20 year old Honda mower is running like new.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank you robert@honda for the help, this isn't the first time you have helped me. You make owning a Honda even easier than it already is. I backed off the bottom screw and that brought the revs up where they should be. I mowed some thick grass (that would have stalled it before) and it chugged right through it like it should. My 20 year old Honda mower is running like new.

Nice! Glad to read it was an easy fix and you're back mowing again. That GXV engine is a proven and finely engineered design.