Repairs New guy from the Algae Coast of Florida (formerly Treasure Coast)

fabricgator

Threads
  • / New guy from the Algae Coast of Florida (formerly Treasure Coast)
Wow, a forum for the beloved LawnBoy!

I have been an enthusiast since 1976 when we owned a certified repair shop and dealership on Long Island, NY.

I thought one time I may build an experimental airplane with 4-6 of them hanging out on the wings, If one or two quit, you can limp home on the others.... wouldn't that be a sight for a 4-6 seat private aircraft.

Anyhow, Does anyone know how to set the carb float height?
I know, make model year... I am going to have to find that too. I just bought what I think is the float from a gent on eBay, I have yet to open it up and look.

I guess I am asking if there are maintenance manuals and instructions online that someone could direct me to.

fabricgator

Threads
Now I know what i have, went skulking around in the shed with a flashlight at 4:30am...

I am the proud papa of my Grandmothers 1974 8232 Self Propel with a D_640 Engine
I also salvaged a 1978 5277 from 1978 from the curb side trash pickup, I grabbed it for the wheels, and with a little squirt of gas she fired right up and ran like junk.

Is the alcohol E-10 gasoline killing us? Did it eat the epoxy off of my carb float?

fabricgator

Threads
Thanks to Two-Stroke for the maintenance manuals, I was able to cut my lawn!!
My neighbors are pretty darned happy.

In reading the manual, I saw about setting the blade 90º perpendicular to the connecting rod TDC. While I had it on the bench, I checked it and it was off.

What I did note was that the plate that is cone fit to the crankshaft, it was bent. After sharpening and balancing, I did track the blade and sure enough, the one side is not aligned with the other.

Who do you guys like for parts?
Is there a blade that you guys recommend. 21 inch...

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
For parts I like K&T but there are lots of parts available other places that they don't carry. Their prices are pretty competitive but watch the shipping charges.

For hard to find parts try eBay.

Re. "the plate that is cone fit to the crankshaft": I think you're talking about the blade adapter and I've never been able to remove one without damaging it in some way. :mad: You can get those at K&T but you should verify that it's the right one for your engine -- you can call K&T during regular business hours.

fabricgator

Threads
Say Two-Stroke,

You sure have been very helpful, thanks.

Any chance you have a link to a LawnBoy Illustrated parts catalog?

I currently have an 1974 year model 8232 that I am working on Bent adapter

and a 1978 model 5277 distant future repairs.

If I remember correctly, we would heat the collet of the blade adapter with a propane torch (trying to not get heat on the shaft) and then two jaw gear puller, hit with hammer.