Fuel Toro 22" Recycler Walk Behind Mower Gas Cap Leak

mpmowerman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have been having Gas Leakage problems from what I thought was a gas cap leak, but after reading some other items on this forum maybe it is a leak from the seam of the tank. However, my Toro is only about 2 1/2 years old and the label on the top of my engine states that it is powered by Kohler and it has 6.75 torque and is a 149cc engine. it appears that other people were having problems with a Briggs & Stratton (Tecumseh engine) . So, if anyone else has had a problem with Gas Cap leakage please let me know. The Spec No on the side of the engine says PH-XT675-2034.Does that mean that it is a model # XT675? I will have to get out my manual and check it out.

Thank you for your assistance!

Michael

Georgega

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just ran into the same situation with an identical Toro/Kohler mower. What I found to be the problem was that the fuel tank’s filler neck was no longer circular. Referencing a clock face, the 12 to 6 dimension was significantly longer than the 9 to 3 dimension. Apparently the was the cap attaches by engaging clips at the 9 and 3 o’clock points caused the filler neck to distort to an oval shape. The elongation from 12 to 6 was large enough that the sealing surface on the filler neck we’re outside of the o-ring in the gas cap and there wasn’t a good seal at these positions.

I carefully used a pair of channel-lock pliers to squeeze the filler neck back into a circular shape and the cap now seals. If the leak returns, I plan to force something round inside the filler neck to keep it circular. I’ll try to use a piece of pipe or tubing.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Kohler had a problem with some of these engines. Check with your local dealer about a service notice on these engines. Can’t remember the exact remedy.

Georgega

Forum Newbie
Threads
Rivets, Thank you for your reply. You are correct and the link listed a couple of posts earlier has the Toro notice and the Kohler problem identified. Toro refers any questions to Kohler and Kohler requires that any request for repair (presumably under some type of warranty) be handled through a Kohler repair dealer. It took my repair shop the better part of a week to get a reply from Kohler. For me to get the tank replaced, I’ll have to bring the mower to a Kohler repair shop and they’ll have to provide Kohler with whatever’s required to get a replacement tank. The new tanks can be purchased outright for around $30 from a number of online stores, including Amazon.
I’m planning to take my mower to the local shop after the end of the season so they can do the repair and get reimbursed for their time.
In the interim, the cap is working fine since I squeezed the filler neck back into a more circular shape. I originally posted my ‘fix’ since there seemed to be a number of postings implying that customers were having a difficult time getting the cause of the problem identified by Toro dealers. Thanks again!