Can my 60" Titan MX6080 zero turn mower pull a tow-behind leaf vacuum?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Can my 60" Titan MX6080 zero turn mower pull a tow-behind leaf vacuum?
My neighbor has one with caster wheels, they are a ridged two point connection onto the towing machine. He pulls it with a small Kubota diesel tractor and I have had to weld the frame on it several times.
I suggest that you try the vac unit first to get a feel for how it handles and if the front casters on your ZTR are light, then consider adding some weights to the front of your ZTR.
My Scag Tiger Cub with a machine mounted Scag collection system uses four weights on the front to counter the weight that the three bags can accumulate during collection.
Bear in mind that ZTRs can slide sideways fairly easily as they steer by varying the speed of the rear wheels. I've lost control of my ZTR several times and the machine goes where it pleases when traction is lost at the rear wheels. I cannot imagine loosing control with a self contained bagger/vac in tow as serious damage to either the machines or me could happen!!!
I only have six mowing customers and in an average season, spring cleanup/fall cleanup, I usually pickup 1,000 to 1,300 bushels. There is no way that I could use a self contained bagger/vac as where I have to dispose of the collection, I have to carry each bag off the machine and into the dumping areas which grow in size every season.
When I used garden tractors with collection systems, I had a wagon that I towed and as time passed I could no longer get the tractor and wagon into these areas to dump the wagon.

Attachments

• Pictures from old hard drive 2010 383.jpg
    Pictures from old hard drive 2010 383.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Pictures from old hard drive 2010 379.jpg
    Pictures from old hard drive 2010 379.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 11

Brucebotti

Threads
My neighbor has one with caster wheels, they are a ridged two point connection onto the towing machine. He pulls it with a small Kubota diesel tractor and I have had to weld the frame on it several times.
I suggest that you try the vac unit first to get a feel for how it handles and if the front casters on your ZTR are light, then consider adding some weights to the front of your ZTR.
My Scag Tiger Cub with a machine mounted Scag collection system uses four weights on the front to counter the weight that the three bags can accumulate during collection.
Bear in mind that ZTRs can slide sideways fairly easily as they steer by varying the speed of the rear wheels. I've lost control of my ZTR several times and the machine goes where it pleases when traction is lost at the rear wheels. I cannot imagine loosing control with a self contained bagger/vac in tow as serious damage to either the machines or me could happen!!!
I only have six mowing customers and in an average season, spring cleanup/fall cleanup, I usually pickup 1,000 to 1,300 bushels. There is no way that I could use a self contained bagger/vac as where I have to dispose of the collection, I have to carry each bag off the machine and into the dumping areas which grow in size every season.
When I used garden tractors with collection systems, I had a wagon that I towed and as time passed I could no longer get the tractor and wagon into these areas to dump the wagon.

I was about to tell the original poster that it should be no problem until I read your post. I tow my DR with an old relatively heavy 2000 Craftsman GT with no problem. My lot is pretty flat, but there are a few slopes. If the DR starts to slide due to the casters, you can really feel it on the tractor. I can't imagine what it would be like with my Toro ZTR. I think the ZTR would have no trouble pulling the DR, only controlling it. Unless the lot was completely flat, I would never recommend the ZTR - DR combo. Thanks for waking me up Mad Mackie.....:laughing:
Bruce

gbin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks to all of you for your advice!

I'm going to go for it. I was starting to lean that way, anyway, and now I just came across someone who wants to sell their DR Power Pro-XL (the largest, most powerful model), in pristine condition, for less than half price because he's moving into a situation where he won't need it or have space for it. I figure if I'm careful about its use behind my 60" Titan MX6080 then I should at least be able to give it a good test without hurting my mower or myself, and if it looks as if that combination isn't going to work out then I can use some of the money I saved to buy an old riding mower of whatever kind just because it's cheap, still runs well enough and will accommodate the tow-behind leaf vacuum, per Midniteoyl's suggestion. I reckon I've got enough room in the barn for one more machine if things turn out that way... :^ /

Gerry

Midniteoyl

Threads
Thanks to all of you for your advice!

I'm going to go for it. I was starting to lean that way, anyway, and now I just came across someone who wants to sell their DR Power Pro-XL (the largest, most powerful model), in pristine condition, for less than half price because he's moving into a situation where he won't need it or have space for it. I figure if I'm careful about its use behind my 60" Titan MX6080 then I should at least be able to give it a good test without hurting my mower or myself, and if it looks as if that combination isn't going to work out then I can use some of the money I saved to buy an old riding mower of whatever kind just because it's cheap, still runs well enough and will accommodate the tow-behind leaf vacuum, per Midniteoyl's suggestion. I reckon I've got enough room in the barn for one more machine if things turn out that way... :^ /

Gerry

Always room for one more toy, er.. machine :thumbsup:

sapirg

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check with Cyclonerake.com. I have one of their Classic models and it works great. I think they should be able to tell you if your mower can work with one of their units. I found them very helpful when I was shopping for a leaf vac.