Yellow grass after line trimming

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
On some yards I have this problem with line trimming. I trim and the grass turns yellow in no time. On other yards I trim and the grass stays green. I don't trim to close to the ground (this isn't always easy tho with fine grass). Any explanations for this? I thought that this can sometimes be caused by the home owner never trimming so when we come and trim the tall sides the grass is yellow at the bottom.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Watering a lawn makes it green and healthy. That is the difference in the lawns I mow.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On some yards I have this problem with line trimming. I trim and the grass turns yellow in no time. On other yards I trim and the grass stays green. I don't trim to close to the ground (this isn't always easy tho with fine grass). Any explanations for this? I thought that this can sometimes be caused by the home owner never trimming so when we come and trim the tall sides the grass is yellow at the bottom.

If you are using a line that is too heavy for your trimmer, it slows down the trimmer and gives an even moer rgged cut than you normally get from a trimmer.
The more ragged the cut the harder it is for the grass to recover and the more area for both bacteria to attack the grass and moisture to evaporate from.

the same care & cut rules apply to trimming as does to mowing.
Ideally cut no more than 1/3 the height of the grass.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Indeed, on watered lawns I have less problems with this. All tho, we haven't had a good rain for quite a while. Even some of my irrigated lawns are having a yellow time.

I use .095" trimmer line on a trimmer that has more than enough power to trim gas. We get a nice clean cut with this, but I do understand where you are coming from with this Bert.