RZ4219 drive belt replacement (EZT belt)

mikec35

Threads
I'm having trouble figuring out how to replace the drive belt on this mower. I jacked up the back end and removed the deck belt. The drive belt looks like it cannot be removed unless the tensioner pulley/bracket is removed or the rear transaxle is lowered. Is there a trick to doing this? Any instructions or videos that anyone can link? The owners manual is of no help with this belt. Thanks

mikec35

Threads
Thanks for the reply. The manual is incorrect. The idler arm where it mounts is right next to the hydro pulley. There is no way to remove the belt unless you remove the idler arm. I was trying to see if there is an easier way. Thanks, Mike

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Spring under the engine compartment that is connected to idler pulley. Remove spring(circled in red) it is a bugger)) idler pulley will now move to allow belt removal and replacement. You may have to remove the entire idler pulley assembly to get it to move freely unless you have been lubing the pivot point(circled in blue) like manual says too. It took me an hour to get mine out and cleaned off so I could lube it so it would move freely.
husqvarna rz4229.jpg

mikec35

Threads
I had to take the idler pulley bracket out, there is virtually no room between the bolt/pivot on the bracket and the pulley to get the belt out.
I love the mower, but it really is a pain to replace the drive belt! Thanks for all the help!

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
They are a bugger to replace.

mikec35

Threads
I'm back again, trying to figure out how to replace my drive belt. I cannot figure out how to route it, when I route it around the 2 EZT's and the engine pulley the belt is too long. I know i have the right belt. I'm thinking something broke when the belt came off, is there only 1 spring on the idler pulley? What I have is a spring hooked from the pulley to the back of the frame, maybe I'm missing something? I've tried to figure this out for a while and am just not getting it. Does anyone have a belt diagram for this? I can find a deck belt diagram but not the drive belt. Thank you

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
According to the parts manual , Ser # 966809000 and higher I have here ( free download from Husqvarna ) the belt number is 575 852401
According to Gates the belt is 51.25" long.
Another parts manual Ser # 965881101 - 966809000 says the belt is 539 110411 which is 56.375" long
As for numbers lower than 965881101 that is anybodies guess but I have done mowers where neither of the above listed belts fitted.
So start by checking you have the correct belt.

The RZ series is the bottom end in the Husqvarna ZTR line up and I regularly have problems with things like belt fit.
The parts seem to change with every batch.
There are 4 of them in my run and every time the owners buy belts from the local dealer, the belts end up not working properly.
Some were the wrong belts in the right sleeve others had changed due to penny pinching but the dealers information has not been updated.

The belt is a strait triangle with the tensioning arm pushing on the back of the belt on the slack ( out side off engine ) side.
I have seen them with the wrong belt & the tensioner fitted to the wrong bolt hole , with the tensioner fitted backwards and with the spring backwards ( pulling the belt out ).
The parts book Ser # 966809001 & higher shows the routing of the belt.
The earlier parts book list but does not even show the belt at all.

mikec35

Threads
According to the parts manual , Ser # 966809000 and higher I have here ( free download from Husqvarna ) the belt number is 575 852401
According to Gates the belt is 51.25" long.
Another parts manual Ser # 965881101 - 966809000 says the belt is 539 110411 which is 56.375" long
As for numbers lower than 965881101 that is anybodies guess but I have done mowers where neither of the above listed belts fitted.
So start by checking you have the correct belt.

The RZ series is the bottom end in the Husqvarna ZTR line up and I regularly have problems with things like belt fit.
The parts seem to change with every batch.
There are 4 of them in my run and every time the owners buy belts from the local dealer, the belts end up not working properly.
Some were the wrong belts in the right sleeve others had changed due to penny pinching but the dealers information has not been updated.

The belt is a strait triangle with the tensioning arm pushing on the back of the belt on the slack ( out side off engine ) side.
I have seen them with the wrong belt & the tensioner fitted to the wrong bolt hole , with the tensioner fitted backwards and with the spring backwards ( pulling the belt out ).
The parts book Ser # 966809001 & higher shows the routing of the belt.
The earlier parts book list but does not even show the belt at all.

Great info! I have the old belt and the new one measures the same. When I get home I’ll try pulling up the parts book you mentioned to see if I can figure out the routing. Thank you!

mikec35

Threads
Fixed! I am embarrassed to say but I had the pulley/fan on wrong (fan on top of pulley) and the belt wouldn't fit. Just for anyone else that may search this in the future, you have to loosen the bolt/nut over the right side transaxle pump holding the idler arm almost to the point where you are taking the nut off to get enough room to get the belt over the right side pump pulley. Even with the bolt on the idler arm loose you still have to work to get the belt on the right pulley. Once on the pump pulleys you have enough slack in the idler pulley to feed the belt around it and the engine pulley.