Hustler Raptor SD Discharge Trouble

mhavanti

Threads
I was making a slight joke for all those that like to drink and mow. lol

mhavanti

Threads
Hustler Raptor Deck Chute Modifications and Upgrades.

Right way, wrong way, factory way along with several alternative ways.

If you are an owner of a Excel Industries Hustler Raptor of Big Dog Zero Turn with the grass catcher scallop on the top of the deck at the discharge chute. More than likely you have read articles on the internet via forums, personal testimonies or on one or more of the video sources such as YouTube and Vimeo, etc.

If you have given thought to modifying this discharge chute area above the discharge chute reinforcement bar. Please keep safety in the front of your thought process. The enforcing bar is a strong safety item that the manufacturer placed in front of the blade tip of the right hand side of their fabricated deck. The manufacturer makes an alternative over the top of the deck - deck reinforcement to help create strength for the safety of your deck.

Although this over the top enforcement helps the front of the deck from becoming bent rearward toward the blade tip, it does not help reduce the possibility of a foot accidentally going into the now opened up deck discharge chute. Considering that you are responsible for removing the manufacturer installed reinforcement bar, you accept the liability for any personal or property damage that may happen to a greater degree from objects are now able to slip deeper into the blade's cutting surface. An object (possibly human or animal) can now go in as deep as 4 inches. This would remove a foot before a person could move back. Remember, you, the end user are responsible for the damages to any person, animal or object, not the manufacturer. In the event you have removed the reinforcement bar completely, consider purchasing the manufacturer's over the top of the deck enforcement.

Alternatives to removing the reinforcement bar is to cut the height of the bar down to approximately 7/16" from the bottom of the bar so that the top of the bar is now below the top of the cutting blade. This will then allow the grass clippings to flow outwardly freely without interruption from the bar blocking the discharge. The material left in the reinforcement bar will help keep a foot from going into the blade. Of course there is always a chance of human error that may allow it, however, you will have given much less opportunity for that to happen if the bar is still in place. The remaining bar will also support the front of the deck to keep it from becoming slammed backward into the blade tip which is the reason it was there to begin with along with the grass catcher resting upon it.

This brings us to another alternative to the grass catcher scallop. If you remove the bar completely, consider placing a deck scallop block off plate. I will place a link to a YouTube video so that you can see how well they work in conjunction with lowering the reinforcement bar. Clippings don't fly up into the operator's face nearly as bad nor does it windrow as badly. Here is the most important part of the block off plate. Keeps the foot / leg on the outside of the deck due to the block off plate is flush with the inside of the reinforcement bar.

Right way, wrong way, factory way and alternative way. I'll let you all be your own judge. My choice is the alternative way. Cut the bar down, install a block off plate.

This is the abridged version of the video showing the lowered bar and block off plate. There is one more video coming out within the next two days that will have some still photos showing the original concept, design process, the mock-ups, materials test along with another cutting with thicker, longer grass while wet as well. The block off plate tests have shown this upgrade to the Raptor Deck Discharge Chute is a viable modification to help maintain safety for your mowing apparatus, the humans and animals in the area along with objects you may not want to cut down.

If this article and video was helpful to you, please subscribe to the youtube channel, give it a thumb's up (like) and hit the little bell at the lower right side next to the subscribe button to help us bring you further upgrades for the Excel Hustler and Big Dog Mowers.

Excel Industries, we can use some assistance in bringing these articles and videos to your purchasing customers.

Thank you for your time,

Max's Garaj Mahal
Max Hughes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Upx46nmGVA

d5coupe

Forum Newbie
Threads
That's the first thing I thought of even before I bought it, because when I looked at the discharge, I wondered why they didn't leave it completely open. I even questioned the dealer on whether they had any complaints on the discharge clogging, and he said out of the thirty + he sold, he could remember only one that complained. I thought maybe it had something to do with air flow plus I hated the idea of having to take my cutting torch to a brand new mower to make it work. I guess maybe I'll have to cut the deck opening if the dealer doesn't resolve it. I was looking for a mower that would cut the grass with no trouble if for some reason (weather or work) I didn't get it cut when it should have and it got a little tall or thick or was still a little damp. So far, this Hustler is not the answer, and is actually the worse of any brands I've previously used for clogging and grass hanging up underneath the deck. I doubt that the dealer will be able to come up with any answers either, but who knows. Maybe I'll have to try the Gator blades.

ever find a solution, i find myself in the same spot

577jersey

Threads
Here in the north east the xht blades are working great.
The gator not so much.

mhavanti

Threads
d5coupe,

Here is the video I made of the 100% correct method of curing any version of a blockage to your Raptor Deck Chute Opening.

This will solve your problems if you are having any.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HustlerMowerOwners/https://www.facebook.com/groups/HustlerMowerOwners/

Also, here is the fastest growing Hustler Mower Owner group anywhere if you'd like to join. We have factory staff, dealers, techs, engineers and lots of individuals that are willing to help out.

Hustler Mower Owner Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/HustlerMowerOwners/

Good luck,

Max