PTO causes the amp guage to show discharge

jerry1249

Threads
When engaging the blades , the amp gauge has started showing discharge. this is model #917.276052 W/ elect. PTO.I have ran test on the stator and voltage rectifier.they test good but still won't charge the battery. all safety switches are good and working properly. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The gages those units are indicators, but are not always very accurate. First connect a VOM across the battery and check the voltage at idle and full throttle. Idle should be in the area of 13.5-14V and full throttle increase to no more than 15V. If it is in this range connect the VOM across the battery terminals and measure battery voltage drop when you engage the PTO. If it drops below 13V you may have a problem with the PTO, which will lead to more testing. As said the leading cause of this problem is loose and/or dirty connections. If all connections are good it may also be telling you that that the PTO drawing a high amount of current, leading to it's death.

jerry1249

Threads
Thanks Guys For All The Info. After Doing some tracing ,With no avail, I checked the stator and regulator/rectifier to find no power returning to the battery. Changed those plus a different flywheel and solved the problem. There was no power to do all that had to be done. But Problem solved and I'm relived. Until next time. Happy Trails