Neighbor hates my two privet trees. Can they be stopped from flowering?

MowerMark

Threads
  • / Neighbor hates my two privet trees. Can they be stopped from flowering?
After 20 years, my neighbor claims the two privet trees cause him to itch, especially when they flower. He wants them cut down. Is there a way to keep these trees but stop them from flowering?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
No. It is the cycle of life.

Wow I just did a web search on them and from what I have read they cause lots of people to have allergic reactions. One person said he wants to rid the planet of them. WOW just wow.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Down here they are a noxious pest species & in some places there are fines for growing it &/or not removing it from your property.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
After 20 years, my neighbor claims the two privet trees cause him to itch, especially when they flower. He wants them cut down. Is there a way to keep these trees but stop them from flowering?

I don't know anything about the trees but after 20 years he claims the two privet trees cause him to itch now? What happened to the first 19 years? Sounds kinda funny to me.

MowerMark

Threads

Wow I just did a web search on them and from what I have read they cause lots of people to have allergic reactions. One person said he wants to rid the planet of them. WOW just wow.

Yes, they are highly antigenic, but don't bother anyone in the area except him. I did see a reference on stopping them from flowering, but cannot locate it now.

If the neighbor claims allergies, am I obligated to remove the trees on my property? Must I pay for their removal?

Last edited:

Midniteoyl

Threads
Yes, they are highly antigenic, but don't bother anyone in the area except him. I did see a reference on stopping them from flowering, but cannot locate it now.

If the neighbor claims allergies, am I obligated to remove the trees on my property? Must I pay for their removal?

My guess is he recently read about privets and made the link to his allergy (right or wrong). But no, him simply claiming that he is allergic and wants them removed does not obligate you too. Especially since its not a life threatening reaction.

MowerMark

Threads

Yes, but I don't know of anyone allergic to them, and he certainly appears normal. No sneezing, congestion, wheezing, skin rash, etc.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes, but I don't know of anyone allergic to them, and he certainly appears normal. No sneezing, congestion, wheezing, skin rash, etc.

I get migraines and hives under my hair. So you can not always tell if someone is allergic to something from appearances.