Cub Cadet Tank - turning on PTO drags engine down

ehobbs duffer

Threads
When using the "Tank," when cranked, the engine runs just great. Turn on the PTO and it will gradually drag the engine down. Turn the PTO off and it will run just fine. If you're on almost non-existent grass, it will run until it reaches a little higher grass or an incline, then drags the engine down. This machine has performed great for several years. Now this!! Any suggestions?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is it possible that you are running on one cylinder, and don't have enough power to run the mower. What engine by model number do you have on your mower as well as the model number of the mower would help us to help you.

ehobbs duffer

Threads
Thanks for the response. Here is more info: Kohler engine Motor Command Pro 30. The mower model #M60KH. The mower runs great, up hill, down, wherever, until the PTO load is activated. Does not seem to be any problem with the Kohler, at all. It will run fast or slow - just as long as the PTO is off.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am leaning towards a fuel restriction problem. Partially clogged fuel outlet on tank, fuel pump not putting out enough volume, main jet in carb partially clogged. I am thinking that you are not maintaining enough fuel in the carb to supply the engine under load and runs until it runs out of fuel.

Midniteoyl

Threads
Have you checked the PTO clutch and deck spindles?

ehobbs duffer

Threads
ILENGINE: Have checked some of it. Will recheck and check everything regarding the fuel line, etc.
Midniteoyl: No. Haven't checked the PTO clutch nor the spindles. If possible, could you please instruct me on how to do those two things. Novice here!!!
Thanks to both of you.

Midniteoyl

Threads
ILENGINE: Have checked some of it. Will recheck and check everything regarding the fuel line, etc.
Midniteoyl: No. Haven't checked the PTO clutch nor the spindles. If possible, could you please instruct me on how to do those two things. Novice here!!!
Thanks to both of you.

Take the belts off and see if they rotate freely.. I dont have a Tank, nor know your model, so cant tell you exactly where this is, but the main drive belt of the deck goes to it... If your deck spindles or PTO clutch are bad (like bad bearings), they could drag your motor down. Since this only happens with the PTO engaged, I would start here.

ehobbs duffer

Threads
Thanks everyone. Will report back when all of this has been checked out. HOPEFULLY, something that has been posted will be the problem solver!