Command CH16S Governor Shaft Replacemet 'tricks'?

K7ZS

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Command CH16S Governor Shaft Replacemet 'tricks'?
Hello, first time posting here!

Had my 2001 Cub Cadet lawn tractor lose governing, with engine racing, and figured out what to do ... take off the sump and examine the gear, pin, shaft etc. All that was pretty easy, and with the horizontal configuration of the engine in my 2166 mower, was able to keep the engine in the tractor...

I was surprised to see that the GOVERNOR SHAFT was worn to a sharp point, and finally broke in half and that's when I lost the pin, gear ... and governing.

I had ordered all of the potential parts ahead of time, so I felt pretty good, NO BRAINER - replace the shaft, gear, pin and go!

WELL ... I cannot get the remaining half of the GOVERNOR SHAFT out of the crankcase... I am sure it's an interference fit (I sure hope I am right on that!!!)

I have tried plenty of pulling (vice grip), and applied heat (not overly aggressive) only using propane, no Oxy/Acetylene (I do have a set though no big rosebud tip)

SO, can anybody give me any tips? I want to make sure, first, that it is just an interference fit. I think it's a blind hole, so no way to drive it out from the rear. I may try to get some dry ice and cool the shaft after heating the crankcase?

I have tried most of the common tricks, to no avail!

any suggestions?

Many Thanks!

-Kevin in Oregon

Edit / Delete Edit Post Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

bad news for you.
The govenor shaft is a sliding fit through the cases as it has to rotate under the force applied by the spring ( to return ) and the bob weights .
Because it only moves 1/4 turn it has most likely worn a lip

K7ZS

Forum Newbie
Threads
:welcome:

bad news for you.
The govenor shaft is a sliding fit through the cases as it has to rotate under the force applied by the spring ( to return ) and the bob weights .
Because it only moves 1/4 turn it has most likely worn a lip

Hi and thanks for the comment

Just to ensure I have made myself clear, the governor shaft I am talking about is the one which supports the governor GEAR, not the one the one which goes THROUGH the case and actuates the throttle. I have the replacement part, I just can't get the old one to come free of the crankcase - it is a 'blind' hole, but I fear I may need to further disassemble the engine to drill from behind, and use a drift to drive it out and patch after replacing new shaft. Makes the job about 10 times as hard, trying to avoid that!

Thanks! Kevin