Protecting bunnies and snakes

Greenblades

Threads
Here is the third mod I was talking about. I remember growing up running over snakes or other animals and being horrified. It didn't have to be tall grass either.

I know that the vibration and vroom vroom should scare them away but it doesn't always. I was thinking of some version of a cow pusher but every design I come up with seems like it would push the grass over a snake and trap it. Any ideas?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm afraid that you are not going to be able to make a snake sifter work in front of a mower or anything else... The smart snakes are going to stay clear, the less smart will not be around to replenish the not so smart ranks... sooo with our help and a form of natural selection we should end up with mostly smart snakes or at least snakes with big ears:smile:.
Bunnies replenish their ranks so fast I see no shortage ever occurring because of anything that could happen to them... KennyV
Ps watch out for sneaky snakes with big floppy ears ... no telling what they may get into. :laughing:

Greenblades

Threads
:laughing: Bunny sifter....

I get natural selection. But the blood and guts and half bleeding dying severed snakes:frown:-- It's personally traumatizing. That is my fear though that as you put it, a snake sifter or bunny sifter will be impossible to design. I keep brainstorming though. Like what about flat thin long blade like items (kind of like the sills in a window blind) put on their side (thin side down, flat side facing side to side) so they sort of lightly whap the grass about two to three feet in front of the mower. It wouldn't quite be like a cow pusher but might alert animals not alerted by the rumbly to RUN!

I know. As I was told yesterday...I am one of Gods "special"children. :confused2::biggrin:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You might think along the lines of modifying a de-thatcher rake...
http://www.kwaree.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/dsc01576.jpg
They do NOT do a good job removing thatch so your use might be better...
For your design you may be the only user of such an attachment as it will make it very hard to maneuver around any tight spots. But I know the unconscious wild life in your parts might appreciate you. :laughing:
KennyV

Zeroturn

Threads
Oh no- I personally try to run over snakes! I hate them and they scare me. The more I get the better I feel! I love bunnies though and I've never had that problem. I wonder what you could use to get them out of the way!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I love bunnies though
I wonder what you could use to get them out of the way!

Plant a garden... They will all be in it eating all your vegies, that will leave the yard all clear to mow... :smile::smile: KennyV

Greenblades

Threads
:laughing:

You guys are too funny! I am a bit of a bleeding heart.

I looked at the pic and something like that might work. I was thinking of something though that might have more flexible and flat prongs though. I figure that way it might slap around a little bit so no little casualty gets through the prongs unspanked and unwarned. Are those prongs detachable, could I replace it with something else? Otherwise I might be able to rig up something similar but with the prongs of my choice.

Hand2ThePlow

Threads
The very first time I brush cut with my FIL's 8n I mowed over a fawn, that was not a good feeling for a city boy like me.

Is this really a problem you're faced with often? I've been mowing for decades and other than an occasional snake, mouse, mole, etc I've never felt the need to add a cow pusher to my mower.

Greenblades

Threads
:eek: That makes it worse, as we have had fawns hidden in the taller grass around trees and nooks. Its not like its an animal bloodbath here, but once is really too much. I remember from my childhood it happened enough times per summer that it stuck in my head, so when I gear up to take over later this summer, I want to avoid the trauma.

Plus, I like excuses to build stuff.

Rooster7

Threads
There has been several "stray" mower trails in my yard over the years after seeing a snake try to "run" :laughing: